A Bit About Us
We’re a bunch of people who go to great lengths to make sure our customers are the happiest customers out there. We may sell everything from washing machines to PlayStations, but at our core we’re a people business.
We roll up our sleeves and work together to make things happen. From logistics, recycling to our award winning IT teams, almost everything we do, we do ourselves to make sure every aspect of our customer journey is done properly.
We launched in 2000 as a result of a £1 bet in a Bolton pub. 18 years later we have a 5* TrustPilot rating (after 100K reviews), expanded our business into Europe and floated on the London stock exchange, but we never lose sight of what we’re about.
More About the Role
You will assist the Category Buyer in the management of buying, developing and ranging products that support the achievement of the Category targets and meet company objectives. The job holder will take personal responsibility for assisting with the buying of a category. The job itself is centrally based, however, there may be some travel involved and flexibility will be essential.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
* To monitor sales and margin performance and interpret variances against category plan.
* To update and manage the promotional SKU plan by category and liaise with marketing and supply chain on achieving go live dates
* Ensure all products have correct specifications, images, reviews and videos pre go live
* To monitor competitor activity and communicate to category buyer.
* To use customer, sales and market information to support the buyer in creating a range that meets market needs, supports the customer proposition and achieves department goals.
* To ensure that all promotional finances are kept up to date.
* To work with the stock team to maintain supplier line by line sales forecasting and intake plans on agreed trading skus
* To contribute towards establishing, maintaining and building strong relationships with suppliers and other internal departments.
* To assist the Category Buyer in negotiating with suppliers.
* To be first point of contact for the department for suppliers and for ‘buying’ related queries. To ensure all relevant administrative, financial and systems procedures are completed accurately and within agreed timescales.
* To work closely with the Supply Chain and Assistant to ensure stock levels and bookings meet the Category plans/objectives.
* To manage the process for raising income from suppliers, monitoring it vs targets and reconciling it with Finance.
* To investigate invoice discrepancies on agreed trading skus and queries as advised by the Buyer.
A Few Things About You
* Must be a graduate with the drive and desire to pursue a career in a fast moving commercial environment. Must be highly numerate and possess excellent analytical skills
* Must be self-motivated, have strong interpersonal skills and have the ability to solve problems at source. Must have the potential to develop excellent negotiation skills.
* Must have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
* Must have a confident personality and be comfortable in social situations
* Must have the ability to work well under pressure, prioritise and work within tight timescales
* Must possess excellent organisation skills and good time management
* Must be a team player and have an eye for detail
* Must be PC literate with an excellent working knowledge of spreadsheets
Why Choose AO?
At AO, our culture and our AO’way of doing things is vital to our success. We’re passionate people, determined to do whatever’s necessary to make our customers happy.
The AO motto is "treat every customer like you’d expect your nan to be treated, and make decisions your mum would be proud of". To do this, we train and empower each and every AO’er to strive for better ways of doing whatever they are doing.
Our AO’ers don’t just go through the motions and follow processes, it just isn’t our thing. We don’t follow trends, we set them.
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO employee you can take full advantage of our benefits package. As well as the fundamentals, like pensions and holidays, we have designed our "AO Perks" to help you out financially and make your work life a little easier.
No thanks, Recruiter
Recruiters, fancy chancing your arm?
No thanks, we can spot an AO'er a mile off - don't botherLove from AO xx