A Bit About Us
We’re a bunch of people who go to great lengths to make sure our customers are the happiest customers out there. We may sell everything from washing machines to PlayStations, but at our core we’re a people business.
We roll up our sleeves and work together to make things happen. From logistics, recycling to our award winning IT teams, almost everything we do, we do ourselves to make sure every aspect of our customer journey is done properly.
We launched in 2000 as a result of a £1 bet in a Bolton pub. 18 years later we have a 5* TrustPilot rating (after 100K reviews), expanded our business into Europe and floated on the London stock exchange, but we never lose sight of what we’re about.
More About the Role
An exciting opportunity for a qualified accountant working within the UK Retail entity of the business. In this role you’ll be reporting directly into our Head of UK Retail Finance and contributing directly to the profitability of the business. This is a busy and demanding role, and requires somebody who is happy going into the detail with a meticulous attention to detail. The UK Retail Finance team are a close-knit bunch, with a work hard, play hard attitude. This is a varied and often demanding role, so we need someone who is up for the challenge!
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
Reporting directly into the Head of UK Retail Finance and managing a team of 4, with 2 direct reports. You can expect your day to day role to include the following:
- Ownership of cashflow forecasting and payments for the UK Retail business. This is a daily task ensuring timely payments and rolling reforecasting of cash expectations in both the short- and longer-term periods.
- Responsible for accurate reporting of marketing and advertising and overheads cost in UK Retail P&L.
- Business partnering relationship with directors and heads of responsible for overhead spend to ensure accurate forecasting and accruals.
- Responsible for both cash and overheads in budget and longer term business planning.
- Responsible for relevant sections of the UK Retail balance sheet and able to present on issues at monthly review meetings.
- Completion of quarterly VAT returns.
- Working with our in house tax team on any tax reporting matters, and collating information and reporting required.
- Responsible for completion of UK statutory accounts.
- Management of external audit requests at both half year and full year audit.
- Ensuring all team members have clear objectives to work to and understand how their role fits.
- Be the first port of call for team members and ensure time is set aside to have meaningful conversations regarding their development.
- Other ad-hoc work as required by the Finance Director and Head of Retail Finance.
A Few Things About You
- Fully qualified accountant (ACA/ ACCA/ CIMA) with minimum 2 years PQE.
- High proficiency in MS Excel (sumifs, vlookups, pivots etc.)
- Experience of use of Microsoft Dynamics AX is preferable.
- Takes ownership of tasks, maintaining focus when tight deadlines are required.
- Demonstrates good time management to achieve task completion and utilises time effectively.
- Good level of communication and confident within own abilities.
- Listens for understanding and expresses information clearly and concisely.
- Demonstrates creative thinking when solving problems, constantly driving improvement of time-consuming tasks.
- Understands a common goal, shares information with colleagues, contributes to an atmosphere of trust.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude, focuses on a ‘can do’ way of thinking, and is willing to accept new challenges.
- Ability to build strong relationships with various stakeholders across the business including senior management.
Why Choose AO?
At AO, our culture and our AO’way of doing things is vital to our success. We’re passionate people, determined to do whatever’s necessary to make our customers happy.
The AO motto is "treat every customer like you’d expect your nan to be treated, and make decisions your mum would be proud of". To do this, we train and empower each and every AO’er to strive for better ways of doing whatever they are doing.
Our AO’ers don’t just go through the motions and follow processes, it just isn’t our thing. We don’t follow trends, we set them.
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO employee you can take full advantage of our benefits package. As well as the fundamentals, like pensions and holidays, we have designed our "AO Perks" to help you out financially and make your work life a little easier.