A Bit About Us
At AO Recycling, we are committed to extracting as much value as possible from the waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) that is thrown away by UK households every year. Like the rest of the AO Group, we are a very exciting and enthusiastic company to work for. The role will be located at our plant in Telford, Shropshire, which uses state of the art technology and is able to process more items, more efficiently than any other site in the UK.
More About the Role
We are growing rapidly and so with that, opportunities to develop and try new approaches become aplenty. If you are an energetic, hands on, innovative professional, this is the environment for you. We are part of a bigger group and with that backing comes stability and support for our business. And it is always worth remembering - we run a profitable business whilst doing the right thing for the environment.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
Within the core value of delivering Excellence the Operations Manager will focus the Department Managers, Supervisors and Operative employees, totalling 150 operational employees, to deliver and exceed the agreed budget. The Operations Manager will develop the operational team through providing direction; guidance, support, coaching and mentoring, to ensure all KPI's are delivered in line with the budget.
The Operations Manager must promote the highest levels of quality and performance whilst driving Health and Safety culture, and employee welfare. With the changing dynamic within the retail sector the operation must be managed in a way that ensure capability to move and flow with the changing patterns of volume, therefore a flexible capability must be at the forefront of any Operations Manager thinking.
To ensure consistency of approach the Operations Manager will work very closely with the respective teams and other managers to ensure site performance excellence is achieved as a minimum and exceeded as a rule.
Here is what you can expect to be doing?
Manage the fast paced 24/7 Recycling and Plant Processing departments reporting directly to the Director of Operations
Build a strong team focused on quality and efficiency in everything they do in a safe and clean working environment by using methodologies and tools like 5S or lean. Coach managers and staff using basic lean to deliver a CI Culture. Focus on the needs of the teams as well as act consistently and with resolve.
Take responsibility for ensuring all activities and personnel within the departments, comply with site Health and Safety policies and regulations, working closely with the Health and Safety department, whilst helping the deliver a world class Health and Safety culture. Ensure all activities comply with relevant environmental regulations, permits and licences associated with the site.
Work closely with the Engineering Function and help maintain an effective PPM for the site.
Conduct regular reviews of operational capability and produce clear action plans to drive required improvement.
A Few Things About You
Applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK permanently and without restrictions. Key knowledge and skills for the Telford Operations Manager:
- Knowledge of working in a Recycling facility would be desirable
- Strong and demonstrated knowledge of CI techniques, VSM, Kaizen, 5s etc
- Experience of working at a management level in a 24/7 fast paced environment with large scale growth
- Demonstratable experience in managing large numbers of people (100+) with multi teams and different shift patterns.
- Evidence of the capability to deliver visible, impactful change
- Demonstrable initiative, showing ownership of operational delivery
- Acting with confidence, operating well under own direction
- Organising and motivating teams and individuals
- Strong Leadership and People Management skills
- Focused on the detail and root cause analysis
- Strong communication skills and ability to build relationships quickly
- A strong tenacious character who is willing to question the status quo
- Strong employee relations skills
- Self-sufficient and proactive
- The ability to take on/prioritise own workload
- Good interpersonal skills, confident in your approach
- Pro-active and flexible
- Organised, structured approach to work
This is an excellent opportunity to join an established and growing business, building on the current successes already delivered in a short time within the Operations function.
- Education and Qualifications
- Minimum 5 years’ operational experience with at least 3 years at the Operations Manager level or equivalent
- Degree level education (degree or equivalent, could be through apprenticeship or other pathway) is a must.
- WAMITAB preferable but not essential
- IOSH Qualified
Why Choose AO?
It’s not about the job you need now, it’s about who you want to be and where you want go. The thing about AO is that you don’t have to leave to move on. We have the kind of environment where people learn and thrive and be the best they can be. That’s our values talking.
We empower each and every person to push the boundaries of what’s possible. We’re growing rapidly and so should you. Our environment and our culture are vibrant and engaging, you almost have to feel it to believe it.
"Our people are our biggest asset, they’re our culture: that unique, indescribable thing that makes us really different."
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO employee you can take full advantage of our benefits package. As well as fundamental benefits, like pensions and holidays, we have designed our "AO Perks" to help you out financially, make your work life a little easier or make your home life a lot more fun.