About The Role
At AO Recycling, we are committed to extracting as much value as possible from the waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) that is thrown away by UK households every year. Like the rest of the AO Group, we are a very exciting and enthusiastic company to work for. The role will be located at our plant in Telford, Shropshire, which uses state of the art technology and is able to process more items, more efficiently than any other site in the UK.
As the Shift Co-Ordinator must promote the highest levels of quality and performance whilst driving Health and Safety culture, and employee welfare. With the transition to online retail, the operation must be flexible to growing volumes, managing these effectively and delivering awe inspiring results on a daily basis.
The Shift Co-Ordinator will be focused on delivering and exceeding KPI’s consistently, by motivating and driving processes for their teams, and by finding smarter and innovative ways to generate further efficiencies and effective processes. Excellence of performance will be central to the role
This is an excellent opportunity to join an established and growing business, building on the current successes already delivered in a short time within the Operations function
Shift Co-Ordinator Role - Plastics Recycling Plant
£11.70 - £12.70 per hour (without/with ILM3 qualification)
Study support available for ILM3 course
Shift - Mon-Fri rotating 6am-2pm and 2pm-10pm (initially), moving to 3 shift rotating 24/7 (Mon-Fri) operation in Spring 2021, which will provide an increase per hour pay rate
Here's What You Can Expect To Be Doing
- Reporting to the Plant Manager, delivering KPI’s through smart working.
- Support building a strong 2nd shift team focused on quality and efficiency in everything they do
- Use methodologies and tools like 5S, KAIZEN or other CI Techniques to deliver exceptional performance
- Manage, develop, motivate your team, acting consistently and with resolve
- Full responsibility for ensuring all shift members comply with site Health, Safety and Environmental policies and regulations, working closely with the SHEQ department, whilst helping to deliver a world class HSE culture.
- Ensure all activities comply with relevant environmental regulations, permits and licences associated with the site.
- Understand the fundamentals of the recycling machinery and how operational activity impacts on output quality and uptime
- Work closely with the Engineering Function and help maintain an effective PPM for the department.
- Full accountability for all operational activity during your shift, including liaising with other departments (on site and at the AO Fridge Processing Site) and both suppliers and customers
- Foster team pride in keeping the environment tidy, smart and ready for customer/VIP visits, driving a site which we can all continue to be proud of
- Work closely with other Shift Co-Ordinators, providing effective shift handover, knowledge share and support
A Few Things About You
Key knowledge and skills for the Shift Co-ordinator:
- Knowledge of working in a Recycling facility would be desirable
- Demonstrated knowledge of lean processes including: CI techniques, 5S, Visual management
- Experience of working in a supervisory role in a fast-paced environment
- Effective contribution to the achievement of our business plan by focusing on KPI targets, driving accountability and consistently challenging and involving the team to achieve results
- Review stock discrepancies ensuring all products are weighed effectively
- Housekeeping responsibility - ensure all areas are improved/maintained
- Carry out appraisals and reviews with direct reports, highlighting development areas and encouraging growth
- Monitor and control absence levels within the department, delivering the resource levels to meet demand, in a planned and cost-efficient manner
- Highlight departmental inefficiencies, ratify new processes and execute effective change
- Evidence of the capability to support visible, impactful change
- Acting with confidence, operating well under own direction
- Organising and motivating teams and individuals
- Strong Leadership and People Management skills
- Strong communication skills and ability to build relationships quickly
- A strong tenacious character who is willing to question the status quo
- Strong employee relations skills
- Self-sufficient and proactive
- Good interpersonal skills, confident in your approach
- Pro-active and flexible
- Organised, structured approach to work
Education and Qualifications:
- Minimum 5 years’ operational experience with at least 3 years at Supervisory level
- Level 3 ILM level education (or equivalent, could be through apprenticeship or other pathway) is a must.
- WAMITAB preferable but not essential
- IOSH Qualified
A Bit About Us
We may have started small, but we’ve always had very big ideas. We launched in 2000 and we just haven’t stopped; a years’ worth of achievements always seems more like three at AO.
But, we’re determined to be the best electrical retailer in Europe, and for that, you need to be driven. We need to be bold enough to try new things, and smart enough to see them through. We need to care about people, and we always like to have a little fun as we do it.
Our Recycling business has quickly become the largest fridge processor in the UK, exceeding the highest standards for pollutant recovery and health and safety. We’ve added a plastics recycling plant in the last 12 months on a separate site and we’re investing further in both sites as we continue to push both volumes and standards.
Why Choose AO?
Our people are our superpower, and that’s no accident. We’re looking for everyday heroes who want to learn and help other people achieve. Those glass-half-full-types who have an appetite for a better tomorrow.
With AO, the sky’s the limit. We’ll support you to be the best version of yourself and always drive your career forward.
We keep things simple. We say things like "treat every customer like they’re your gran" and "make decisions your mum would be proud of" because we’re personal and act with integrity - every day in every action.
We’ve designed our benefits to cover everything from big moments to little helps. As well all as the essentials, like pensions and holidays, we’ve got our own "AO Perks" to help you with the little things that matter.
To see all our benefits and perks, visit our AO Benefits page.
• 25 days holiday (Excluding Bank Holidays)
• At least 5% contribution pension scheme*
• Dedicated wellness initiatives that support your wellbeing, ranging from our 24hr employee assistance programme to subsidised gym membership.