A Bit About Us
We’re a bunch of people who go to great lengths to make sure our customers are the happiest customers out there. We may sell everything from washing machines to PlayStations, but at our core we’re a people business.
We roll up our sleeves and work together to make things happen. From logistics, recycling to our award winning IT teams, almost everything we do, we do ourselves to make sure every aspect of our customer journey is done properly.
We launched in 2000 as a result of a £1 bet in a Bolton pub. 18 years later we have a 5* TrustPilot rating (after 100K reviews), expanded our business into Europe and floated on the London stock exchange, but we never lose sight of what we’re about.
More About the Role
Working within the Group Strategy function, you will be a leading part of helping the business to drive our future growth. We are a pivotal part of the group, helping individual business units and the overall group to ensure AO remains at the forefront of the market.
Your role will encompass the below primary contributions:
- Lead our Group Research function - develop and manage a dedicated market and customer research program in accordance with strategic and business objectives.
- Analysing, interpret and communicate this information to help define and drive Group Strategy
- Identify opportunities to improve the AO brand / proposition and feed into the Group’s overarching growth strategy
- Presentation of this information in suitable commercial format to key stakeholders within the business
- Develop and grow our Strategy & Research function, creating a dynamic and commercially minded team to drive strategic growth opportunities for the Group
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
- Plan, manage and lead the Group’s research function, delivering quality commercial outputs in line with business unit and board requirements
- Prepare for and present updates at monthly business unit meetings
- Monthly agenda agreed with business, focused on strategic objectives
- Planned work with business development / project teams in each division
- Specific analysis of large / high risk projects, ensuring we are dedicating group resource into the most appropriate area to get maximum impact and shareholder value
- Prepare regular board papers on specific strategic topics as required
- Develop a program which extends to our European business to help drive growth
- Provide insight to help the business units develop their strategy, influencing decisions with solid commercial support at a senior level
- Help to develop group innovation team
- Help to scope work with external providers and potential JV partners
- Accumulate and educate the group with external market research via attendance at technology and retail specific events
- Create a research library to allow immediate access to prior completed work
- Definition and preparation of internal and external strategic presentations
Run knowledge share meetings with relevant insight teams across the business to ensure efficient work flow both inside the research team & externally
A Few Things About You
- University degree or relevant academic qualifications, or transferable skills from prior roles
- Commercially minded individual possessing an understanding of market, economic & financial metrics
- Ability to grow and develop a small team, prior experience preferable but not essential
- Highly analytical and a problem solver with the ability to disseminate vast quantities of information in a simple and easy to digest format
- Able to link risks and opportunities to drive strategic decision making
- Logical and tenacious approach, demonstrating a can do attitude
- Ambitious and self-motivated
- Strong interpersonal skills & teamwork, ability to discuss ideas and findings with senior stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Demonstrate high levels of integrity and professionalism, in particular discretion and the ability to maintain highly confidential information
Why Choose AO?
At AO, our culture and our AO’way of doing things is vital to our success. We’re passionate people, determined to do whatever’s necessary to make our customers happy.
The AO motto is "treat every customer like you’d expect your nan to be treated, and make decisions your mum would be proud of". To do this, we train and empower each and every AO’er to strive for better ways of doing whatever they are doing.
Our AO’ers don’t just go through the motions and follow processes, it just isn’t our thing. We don’t follow trends, we set them.
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO employee you can take full advantage of our benefits package. As well as the fundamentals, like pensions and holidays, we have designed our "AO Perks" to help you out financially and make your work life a little easier.