A Bit About Us
At AO, we’re in the business of better tomorrows for our customers, and we do whatever it takes to make sure they’re the happiest they can be. We may sell everything from washing machines to PlayStations, but putting smiles on our customers’ faces is at the heart of everything we do.
We’re big believers in making sure every job is done properly, which is why we do everything the AO way. Our award-winning teams work their magic behind the scenes to make sure every customer’s experience is totally effortless. We do our bit for the environment too, with our very own recycling plant to make sure we’re as green as we look. We’re always looking for ways to make our customers as happy as can be, wherever possible.
More About the Role
This is a fantastic opportunity to lead the Pricing and Promotions Team who are responsible for the systems and tools our business uses the ensure we remain competitive in the market whilst giving our customers the best product with the best service at the best price.
We are looking for that perfect blend of maker and manager.
You’ll be responsible for the design and development of exciting, industry-leading business systems utilising some of the latest technologies around.
We consider code to be a craft and practice Continuous Integration, SOLID principles and Test Driven Development.
You will be working with some of the most passionate developers who really care about software excellence sharing ideas through lightening talks and sharpening their skills through katas and dojos.
You will work alongside the product owner to ensure the highest valuable outcomes are worked on and will have continual improvement mindset that you champion within your team.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
After a thorough on-boarding period where you’ll learn all about our business and the technologies we use in our systems, you’ll be in a position to start taking responsibility for the solutions you build.
You can expect to collaborate with:
* Business stakeholders and users
* Other Teams and Developers across the department
* Service Delivery Engineers and Data Scientists
Your responsibilities will include:
* Keeping your team happy and driven to improve
* Team Leadership and day-to-day management of your people and relationships
* Helping your team to elicit customer requirements (we tend to ask "why?" multiple times a day!)
* Uncover non-functional requirements - "How many of these do you need processed in an hour?"
* Choose technology tools - "Hey, have you seen this latest feature of AWS?"
* Choose the correct solution to fit the problem - "A spread sheet is not the right tool for this task!"
* Design the solution - "Time to get the CRC cards out again?"
* Implement the solution - ok, you do need to cut *some* code!
* Build quality in - red/green/refactor
* Constantly improve our engineering processes - "Is this a suitable candidate for automation?"
* Constantly improve our soft processes - "How could we get more value out of our daily meeting?"
A Few Things About You
You’ll need good instincts for lean and agile thinking and a passion for leading and growing people.
You will need the experience to have an opinion on architecture and good software development principles but ultimately the choice will be yours to how hands-on you want to get.
We prefer close collaboration over long-winded documentation, so you need to be a great communicator and have solid interpersonal skills. Maintain strong expertise and knowledge of current and emerging technologies and products is key.
We use the following technologies daily, so commercial experience with them is beneficial, although you don’t need to be a master at them:
* Solid understanding of the practical application of agile development methods
* TDD / BDD / DDD
* MS SQL
We believe that in order for you to do your best, we need to support your other commitments. This means working in a way that offers you flexibility, whilst getting the job done. Feel free to have a chat with us about our flexible ways of working.
At AO we believe diversity will help us find a better way. We want our workforce to be as diverse as our customers by celebrating, valuing and respecting every individual. We achieve this by nurturing a culture of inclusion where every voice matters. We welcome applications from everyone and we can make adjustments to our interview process according to your needs.
Why Choose AO?
We’re in the business of better tomorrows, for both our customers and our people. A better tomorrow means finding a place that’ll reward your curiosity. A place that encourages you to ask ‘why’. Somewhere that feeds your imagination and gives you the support to bring those ideas to life.
If you’re the kind of person who wants to learn and help others achieve, who always sees the glass half-full with an appetite for what’s next, you’ll fit right in with us.
In return, you’ll be an integral part of an award-winning team who are forward-thinking and innovative. You can also take up to 5 days out of the business a year to use for development in your role and we’ll cover the cost.
We’re about looking at the bigger picture - the better tomorrow. And no matter what that looks like to you, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to make it happen.
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO’er you can take full advantage of the benefits and perks we have to offer
- Feel free to have a chat with us about our flexible ways of working.
- You can take up to 5 days out of the business a year to use for development in your role and we’ll cover the cost.
- We have our own library, if you've seen something which interests you, we can order in a copy. Just add it to the library when you've done.
- 25 days holiday (Excluding Bank Holidays)
- At least 5% contribution pension scheme
- Dedicated wellness initiatives that support a healthy work / life balance, ranging from our 24hr employee assistance programme to subsidised gym membership.
To see all of our benefits and perks visit our AO Benefits page.