A Bit About Us
At AO, we’re in the business of better tomorrows for our customers, and we do whatever it takes to make sure they’re the happiest they can be. We may sell everything from washing machines to PlayStations, but putting smiles on our customers’ faces is at the heart of everything we do.
We’re big believers in making sure every job is done properly, which is why we do everything the AO way. Our award-winning teams work their magic behind the scenes to make sure every customer’s experience is totally effortless. We do our bit for the environment too, with our very own recycling plant to make sure we’re as green as we look. We’re always looking for ways to make our customers as happy as can be, wherever possible.
More About the Role
This is a truly unique opportunity to join the Checkout team, the crown jewel of the AO retailing platform.
The Basket / Checkout team are a diverse, cross functional team, relentless in their pursuit of an amazing checkout experience and tasked with crafting a rich yet frictionless application to guide our customers effortlessly through the final stages of their shopping journey.
They’re a team that are always innovating, always looking to learn more about how customers navigate through the purchasing phase of our website and how we can leverage technology, data and insight to further improve the experience for them.
This is a great time to join the team! We’ve not long since opened our brand new five storey Manchester Office. The Basket / Checkout team have only been based there since the start of 2018 as part of our newly formed Manchester IT department. We’re striving towards our goal of having the best IT systems in Europe and have some hugely exciting and challenging projects on the go and in the pipeline for 2018/19 and beyond.
If you’re looking for a role that will challenge and push your technical skills to the limit and provide you with an opportunity to become a key figure at the Manchester office, helping nurture and grow a new department to add to our current (200+ members) award winning IT team (British Computer Society IT Team of the Year 2017 and runner up for Best Place To Work In IT), then this could be the role for you.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
- In conjunction with our UX, Data Scientists and Optimisation teams you’ll be designing, crafting and iterating on a rich, responsive, insight fuelled UI using an array of modern and ever evolving full stack technologies
- You’ll work on a multi-national application (AO.com, AO.de and AO.nl) used by millions of people every day, helping us in our mission to house a Best-In-Class checkout journey
- MVT (A-B-C… testing) sits at the heart of everything we do. You’ll run tests across the entire application, testing against a plethora of imaginative, data fuelled hypotheses
- We take our company values seriously in IT to maintain and evolve our famous internal culture that’s often imitated, never duplicated
- We aim to attract the most talented developers or those with the most potential and, to achieve this, offer a mountain of development (both technical and soft skill) opportunities and perks (including weekly workshops, monthly hackdays, free tech book scheme, online training site subscriptions, working on Open Source projects, five days paid training per year, speaking opportunities, conferences etc).
A Few Things About You
We are looking for developers with experience in web based technology and development of both front end and back end systems.
Proven software development and architecture experience in designing and architecting enterprise web applications.
We prefer close collaboration over long-winded documentation, so you need to be a great communicator and have solid interpersonal skills. Maintain strong expertise and knowledge of current and emerging technologies and products is key.
We use the following technologies daily, so commercial experience with them is beneficial, although you don’t need to be a master at them:
* Experience of Cloud solutions / AWS / Azure
* Solid understanding of the practical application of agile development methods
* Angular JS and React JS
* TDD / BDD / DDD
* MS SQL)
* CSS / SASS
* Node JS based tooling (Gulp / WebPack etc.)
* Good understanding of browser discrepancies
* Familiarity with developing for mobile devices
* Understanding of unit testing
* CMS Experience
* Page performance / optimisation knowledge
* Good knowledge of Web APIs
We believe that in order for you to do your best, we need to support your other commitments. This means working in a way that offers you flexibility, whilst getting the job done. Feel free to have a chat with us about our flexible ways of working.
At AO we believe diversity will help us find a better way. We want our workforce to be as diverse as our customers by celebrating, valuing and respecting every individual. We achieve this by nurturing a culture of inclusion where every voice matters. We welcome applications from everyone and we can make adjustments to our interview process according to your needs.
Why Choose AO?
We’re in the business of better tomorrows, for both our customers and our people. A better tomorrow means finding a place that’ll reward your curiosity. A place that encourages you to ask ‘why’. Somewhere that feeds your imagination and gives you the support to bring those ideas to life.
If you’re the kind of person who wants to learn and help others achieve, who always sees the glass half-full with an appetite for what’s next, you’ll fit right in with us.
In return, you’ll be an integral part of an award-winning team who are forward-thinking and innovative. You can also take up to 5 days out of the business a year to use for development in your role and we’ll cover the cost.
We’re about looking at the bigger picture - the better tomorrow. And no matter what that looks like to you, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to make it happen.
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO’er you can take full advantage of the benefits and perks we have to offer
- Feel free to have a chat with us about our flexible ways of working.
- You can take up to 5 days out of the business a year to use for development in your role and we’ll cover the cost.
- We have our own library, if you've seen something which interests you, we can order in a copy. Just add it to the library when you've done.
- 25 days holiday (Excluding Bank Holidays)
- At least 5% contribution pension scheme
- Dedicated wellness initiatives that support a healthy work / life balance, ranging from our 24hr employee assistance programme to subsidised gym membership.
To see all of our benefits and perks visit our AO Benefits page.