A Bit About Us
AO go to great lengths to make sure our customers are the happiest out there. We may sell everything from washing machines to PlayStations, but at our core we’re a people business. We launched in 2000 as a result of a £1 bet in a Bolton pub. 18 years later we have a 5* TrustPilot rating (after 100K reviews), expanded our business into Europe and floated on the London stock exchange, but we never lose sight of what we’re about.
In December 2018 we celebrated the purchase of Mobile Phones Direct, a leading online-only retailer of mobile phones, to further extend our business into this exciting market. MPD is an award winning company that partners with all of the key mobile networks - EE, O2, Vodafone and Three - as well as the leading handset brands to deliver a complete mobile offering.
A full AO Mobile experience is in the works and will be coming soon, which is why we’re looking for everyday heroes to join our family and help us on this exciting journey.
More About the Role
Cultural fit, discipline, helpfulness, approachability, openness, positivity and technical interest is what we are looking for. The candidate will have a passion for development and will want to grow in this area. You will be given the opportunity to add your uniqueness to the collective as we work together to solve problems. We want to enjoy what we do and we see no reason why this shouldn't be the case when we have a talented team that pulls together.
MPD operates in a fast paced, highly competitive market and this role is pivotal to the company succeeding in its ambition to be the leading online mobile phone retailer in the UK.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
- Solid experience (5 years +) of PHP and a modern PHP Framework such as Laravel/FuelPHP
- In-depth experience of MySQL and database design
- Experience in e-commerce
- Expert front-end skills, specifically HTML & CSS
- Experience in design of responsive websites Experience with LAMP Stack Unit testing / PHPUnit
- Experience of SCRUM / Agile methods
- Experience of GIT version control
A Few Things About You
- Working to agreed designs and coding standards
- Writing clean, commented, legible code
- Aptitude to problem solve and think outside the box
- Logical thinker
- Fast learner
- Self Starter
- Keen interest and knowledge in latest technologies
- Strong IT skills, including Microsoft Office applications
- Strong Communication skills at all levels
- Excellent relationship and collaborative skills
- High degree of accuracy
- Be a strong team player
- Good level of customer focus and understanding customer needs
- Self motivated and positive can do attitude
Why Choose AO?
- At AO, our culture and our AO’way of doing things is vital to our success. We’re passionate people, determined to do whatever’s necessary to make our customers happy.
- The AO motto is "treat every customer like you’d expect your nan to be treated, and make decisions your mum would be proud of". To do this, we train and empower each and every AO’er to strive for better ways of doing whatever they are doing.
- Our AO’ers don’t just go through the motions and follow processes, it just isn’t our thing. We don’t follow trends, we set them.
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an employee of MPD you can take full advantage of our benefits package. We offer the fundamentals of 25 days holiday and a company pension scheme. We also offer all employees the opportunity to take advantage of our partnership with Perkbox that offers over 200 exclusive perks.