A Bit About Us
AO go to great lengths to make sure our customers are the happiest out there. We may sell everything from washing machines to PlayStations, but at our core we’re a people business. We launched in 2000 as a result of a £1 bet in a Bolton pub. 18 years later we have a 5* TrustPilot rating (after 100K reviews), expanded our business into Europe and floated on the London stock exchange, but we never lose sight of what we’re about.
In December 2018 we celebrated the purchase of Mobile Phones Direct, a leading online-only retailer of mobile phones, to further extend our business into this exciting market. MPD is an award winning company that partners with all of the key mobile networks - EE, O2, Vodafone and Three - as well as the leading handset brands to deliver a complete mobile offering.
A full AO Mobile experience is in the works and will be coming soon, which is why we’re looking for everyday heroes to join our family and help us on this exciting journey.
More About the Role
This role is perfect for someone looking for their next career move. AO’s recent acquisition of Mobile Phones Direct offers you the opportunity to establish a new role within the business. Starting with a diverse team of 100 people, you will shape how MPD does people and contribute to the success of our significant growth plans. Working in a standalone role with the support of AO’s central teams and established brand, you will have the opportunity to make a visible impact and influence the integration of MPD with AO.
If you thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and are truly passionate about mobile this role will let you both share your expertise and learn new skills. If you are looking to demonstrate your ability to build lasting relationships and be a trusted and credible partner we will give you the chance to make an immediate difference and lead the vision for AO Mobile. This is a great chance to build the brand and presence of MPD as an employer and establish a successful pipeline of talent to deliver a clear growth agenda.
While working closely with MPD’s Managing Director to help localise group-wide projects, you will be a crucial part of establishing people priorities and delivering them in a relevant and timely way.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
- Develop a people strategy inspired by AO’s purpose and values.
- Build an inspirational people proposition and plan that attracts, identifies, develops and retains talent, and helps build a talent pipeline to support growth.
- Influence and coach the business in adopting best practices and support a culture of inspirational leadership to maximise individual and team contribution.
- Oversee the full employee lifecycle, from recruitment and on-boarding to learning, reward, performance, wellbeing and engagement.
- Contribute to business and budget planning. Take the lead on organisational change.
- Identify People data requirements and provide insight and analysis to drive actions and deliver timely solutions.
- Provide comprehensive HR consultancy support which takes account of both local, group and relevant internal and external factors.
- Act as ambassador for AO in the local community and create relationships with apprenticeship providers and universities to raise brand awareness and establish an entry talent pipeline.
A Few Things About You
- You thrive when delivering results in a fast-paced environment, with large scale growth.
- You are a strong communicator and can build lasting relationships quickly.
- You are innovative and curious, willing to question the status quo and learn.
- You are a commercial thinker, with the ability to provide the case for best practice vs best fit using insight and expertise.
- You have strong employee relations skills and knowledge.
- You can influence and negotiate across all levels, building networks internally and externally with key stakeholders.
- You have good interpersonal skills and a confident approach, yet you seek out feedback to grow.
Why Choose AO?
- At AO, our culture and our AO’way of doing things is vital to our success. We’re passionate people, determined to do whatever’s necessary to make our customers happy.
- The AO motto is "treat every customer like you’d expect your nan to be treated, and make decisions your mum would be proud of". To do this, we train and empower each and every AO’er to strive for better ways of doing whatever they are doing.
- Our AO’ers don’t just go through the motions and follow processes, it just isn’t our thing. We don’t follow trends, we set them.
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an employee of MPD you can take full advantage of our benefits package. We offer the fundamentals of 25 days holiday and a company pension scheme. We also offer all employees the opportunity to take advantage of our partnership with Perkbox that offers over 200 exclusive perks.