About The Role
We’re divvying up how we do data here at AO. We need a Senior Data Engineer on our side who will help steer the ship in building and growing a new data engineering community of practice. The role will play a key part in enabling data innovation, working closely with Data Product Managers, Data Scientists and SMEs from across the business.
The Data Engineering, Analytics & AI (DEA&AI) look after all things data with the lofty dream of turning data into a strategic asset and creating a data-driven culture. We have big plans to build a broader and deeper data capability. You’ll be key in the bigger picture of AO and the new wider data capability.
Here's What You Can Expect To Be Doing
It’ll be your job to identify, design, and implement working practices across data pipelines, data architectures, testing and deployment.
On top of this, you’ll be breaking down complex needs of the business and offering quick and quality solutions whilst embedding best practice across the teams.
You’ll be part of a wider and growing community of engineers and will be leading in coaching and mentoring the team to support their growth.
A Few Things About You
- You know your stuff and have multiple years’ experience delivering in a full-scale data capability.
- You’ve worked with technologies including Apache Kafka and cloud-based services (AWS S3, Redshift, Glue) and containers.
- You might have experience building data pipelines with modern practices including the use of cloud-native technologies, DevOps practices, CI/CD pipelines and agile delivery, plus experience with data modelling and data warehousing solutions.
- You’re a leader, and big on coaching and mentoring team members. You can communicate effectively with senior stakeholders.
A Bit About Us
At AO, we want to make sure our customers are happy. When they have a smile on their face, we know we’ve done a good job. It’s at the heart of everything we do, and it’s why our logo is always smiling.
When it comes to appliances and electricals, we’ve got the lot. Washing machines? Yep. TVs? Check. Laptops? Absolutely. Everything except doorbells (just kidding, we’ve got those too).
We’re passionate, relentless and full of beans, determined to make a difference and change the world for the better. From massive changes to tiny tweaks - making a difference is what keeps us driven.
It started at a pub in Bolton with a £1 bet and a belief that things could be done better!
Why Choose AO?
Our people are our superpower, and that’s no accident. We’re looking for everyday heroes who want to learn and help other people achieve. Those glass-half-full-types who have an appetite for a better tomorrow.
With AO, the sky’s the limit. We’ll support you to be the best version of yourself and always drive your career forward.
We keep things simple. We say things like "treat every customer like they’re your gran" and "make decisions your mum would be proud of" because we’re personal and act with integrity - every day in every action.
We’re forward thinking with both Tech and our people. We know how important family and wellbeing are - flexibility is key to be able to get that balance of life just right, so we operate core hours of 10-4pm to support your lifestyle.
It’s not about where you work, but about how you work and the value you add. This means for most roles, you can split your time working from home, the office, or a coffee shop if that’s where you thrive the most. Whatever the task, project or product, we trust our teams to work together, collaborate and make the sensible choice.
We believe diversity will help us find a better way. We want our workforce to be as diverse as our customers by celebrating, valuing and respecting every individual. We achieve this by nurturing a culture of inclusion where every voice matters. We welcome applications from everyone and we can make adjustments to our interview process according to your needs.
We’ve designed our benefits to cover everything from big moments to little helps. As well all as the essentials, like pensions and holidays, we’ve got our own "AO Perks" to help you with the little things that matter.
To see all our benefits and perks, visit our AO Benefits page.
· Feel free to have a chat with us about our flexible ways of working.
· You can take up to 5 days out of the business a year to use for development in your role and we’ll cover the cost.
· 25 days holiday (Excluding Bank Holidays)
· At least 5% contribution pension scheme
· Dedicated wellness initiatives that support a healthy work / life balance