About The Role
Joining AO on a maternity cover fixed-term contract, the role of the Sales Ledger Manager incorporates full accountability for the sales ledger function across the UK Retail business units. You will be leading a rapidly growing Sales Ledger department, managing team leaders and team members across both invoicing and credit control. Our team is currently 13 people strong, looking after a portfolio of c.600 clients from our AO Business division.
This role is responsible for the leadership and development of 2 direct reports, and will be expected to maintain high levels of engagement and nurture a high performing culture across the whole team. Experience of managing a high-volume transactional team is essential along with driving performance through KPI’s.
We are looking for someone with the drive and experience to establish and improve processes and systems to deliver efficiency and excellent customer service across all aspects of the sales ledger activities to support ongoing growth. We aim to introduce automation to improve the accuracy and timeliness of the invoicing to our clients as well as develop our Credit Control and query management processes to reduce our debtor days and deliver improved customer service. Experience of implementing new sales ledger systems would also be a real advantage as we are embarking upon an ERP transformation project
The management of Credit risk will be a key requirement of this role and ensuring the robust due diligence of customer accounts and credit limits.
As an internal service department, we are accountable to our Business Unit customers. Experience in managing key internal stakeholders is essential as you will lead the business partnering and service delivery to our business units, setting SLA’s and reporting performance against those SLA’s will be a key part of this role.
You will be also be required to liaise with our external stakeholders, such as credit insurance brokers as well as managing the financial audit process.
Candidate must be an innovative thinker, with excellent communication skills and demonstrate a keenness to drive business change.
Here's what you can expect to be doing
- Driving transformation and process improvement across invoicing and credit control processes and within the wider operations
- Overall responsibility for AO Retail debtor’s ledger and month end processes, taking full accountability for performance and credit risk management
- Building strong relationships across the business to offer value added business partnering to improve the customer journey and reduce debt
- Robust due diligence when on boarding new customers & the continued review of customers against credit limits to mitigate risk
- Establish and maintain robust KPI’s across the Sales Ledger activities to manage the performance and identify areas for improvements
- Production of management information & KPI reporting to the wider business on team performance and risk
- Objective setting and ongoing performance management of direct reports and driving robust performance management across the team
- Development of two direct reports and the wider team’s skills
- Support the business unit in new customer tenders, customer onboarding and any other ad hoc projects as required.
A few things about you
- Minimum 5 years in managing a Sales Ledger Department or similar high volume transactional processing team
- A robust people manager with experience in the management, coaching and development of a large team
- Understands the common goal, adopting a collaborative approach with colleagues across the business
- Experience in financial accounting software and ERP
- Strong Excel skills
- Be able to prioritise workload and work under pressure to strict deadlines
- Having a growth mindset - willingness to learn and proactively seek resolutions in a positive manner
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent communications skills (written and verbal)
- CCIM qualifications an advantage
- GCSE English and Maths at Grade B or above
A Bit About Us
At AO, we want to make sure our customers are happy. When they have a smile on their face, we know we’ve done a good job. It’s at the heart of everything we do, and it’s why our logo is always smiling.
When it comes to appliances and electricals, we’ve got the lot. Washing machines? Yep. TVs? Check. Laptops? Absolutely. Everything except doorbells (just kidding, we’ve got those too).
We’re passionate, relentless and full of beans, determined to make a difference and change the world for the better. From massive changes to tiny tweaks - making a difference is what keeps us driven.
It started at a pub in Bolton with a £1 bet and a belief that things could be done better!
Why Choose AO?
Our people are our superpower, and that’s no accident. We’re looking for everyday heroes who want to learn and help other people achieve. Those glass-half-full-types who have an appetite for a better tomorrow.
With AO, the sky’s the limit. We’ll support you to be the best version of yourself and always drive your career forward.
We keep things simple. We say things like "treat every customer like they’re your gran" and "make decisions your mum would be proud of" because we’re personal and act with integrity - every day in every action.
We’ve designed our benefits to cover everything from big moments to little helps. As well all as the essentials, like pensions and holidays, we’ve got our own "AO Perks" to help you with the little things that matter.
To see all our benefits and perks, visit our AO Benefits page.
• 25 days holiday (Excluding Bank Holidays)
• At least 5% contribution pension scheme*
• Dedicated wellness initiatives that support your wellbeing, ranging from our 24hr employee assistance programme to subsidised gym membership.