A Bit About Us
We may have started small, but we’ve always had very big ideas. We launched in 2001 and we just haven’t stopped; a years’ worth of achievements always seems more like three at AO. Our customers are now our biggest advocates, and we’ve made millions of them happy. We’ve even launched in new territories throughout Europe. Sometimes we have to pinch ourselves. But, we’re determined to be the best electrical retailer in Europe, and for that, you need to be driven. We need to be bold enough to try new things, and smart enough to see them through. We need to care about people, and we always like to have a little fun as we do it.
More About the Role
Do you believe that a bug prevented is better than a bug caught? Do you think that tests should reflect the behaviour of the system, and that quality isn’t the responsibility of just one person? Above all else, do you care that the customer gets what they need? We’re on the hunt for a QA Engineer to join one of our agile development teams, responsible for many of the systems crucial for the success of AO. You will be involved in collaboratively driving the features to be built, defining the scope of testing, and advocating good testing practices. We work in an engaging agile environment which allows us to make smart decisions, build understanding and ultimately deliver the right software to our customers. As an IT team we take self-learning seriously and encourage sharing knowledge with others to help other team members grow. Our IT department hosts internal events such as Show & Tells and we attend external user groups in order to foster an idea generation culture.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
- As a QA Engineer, you will take responsibility for ensuring that software fulfils the business
- Build cutting-edge and complex test automation solutions from scratch using Selenium
WebDriver with C# and BDD tools
- Help coach and mentor the team and share your learnings
- Testing and automating against the API layer
- Be part of diverse, cross functional teams focused on full life-cycle development
- Have the autonomy to utilise the right tools and techniques for your needs
- Championing the benefits of automation and successfully implementing solutions
- Sharing knowledge and leadership on best and new practices and make testing about
building in quality at every stage of the process
- Writing SQL commands in order to mimic real world scenario's (CRUD)
- Use your great communication skills to ask questions and challenge assumptions
- Commit to continually learn, mentor, and grow
A Few Things About You
We believe that in order for you to do your best, we need to support your other commitments. This means working in a way that offers you flexibility, whilst getting the job done. Feel free to have a chat with us about our flexible ways of working.
At AO we believe diversity will help us find a better way. We want our workforce to be as diverse as our customers by celebrating, valuing and respecting every individual. We achieve this by nurturing a culture of inclusion where every voice matters. We welcome applications from everyone and we can make adjustments to our interview process according to your needs.
Why Choose AO?
It’s not about the job you need now, it’s about who you want to be and where you want go. The thing about AO is that you don’t have to leave to move on. We have the kind of environment where people learn and thrive and be the best they can be. That’s our values talking. We empower each and every person to push the boundaries of what’s possible. We’re growing rapidly and so should you. Our environment and our culture are vibrant and engaging, you almost have to feel it to believe it. We’ve got everything you could need in one place, so it’s really no wonder we were named Retail Week Employer of the Year 2015. "Our people are our biggest asset, they’re our culture: that unique, indescribable thing that makes us really different."
Great People Deserve Great Things
Every member of the AO family also gets to enjoy the following benefits:
- 25 days holiday - plus Bank Holidays for the perfect work/life balance
- 5 days to use for your personal development and we will cover the cost
- New Year bonus for 100% attendance - (subject to start date)
- Free breakfasts, snacks & drinks all day, every day, plus heavily subsidised lunches
- A hugely discounted gym membership at Bolton Arena
- Childcare vouchers to take care of the little people
- An enhanced Maternity and Paternity package for those with a new arrival (subject to
length of service)
- A cycle to work scheme to encourage wellbeing
- Staff discount on ao.com products
- Contributory company pension scheme
- A world-class management training program
- Our Engage Me programme - we’ll stump up 50% of the cost of any activity you fancy
doing with your work friends. So far we’ve done everything from snowboarding to scuba
- Huge companywide social events every year…because we like to play hard as well as work
hard* Make a Difference days - 2 extra