A Bit About Us
At AO our purpose is to have the happiest customers by relentlessly striving for a better way and all our employees have a vital part to play. As our P&D Apprentice will work closely with the whole People & Development department including School and community outreach, Learning & Development and Recruitment. As well as having regular contact with students and local community groups, you will work closely with all AO employees to keep our business running smoothly and our people happy. During your apprenticeship you will gain an understanding of how our company purpose and values translate into daily working life and how our People and Development team supports that.
More About the Role
As our P&D Apprentice you will play a key role in supporting the wider people and development department and will be set challenges which will allow you to support our logistics employees ensuring they are the best that they can be. Beginning as a P&D Apprentice, you will gain invaluable experience and learn everything needed to help you to continue developing a career once your apprenticeship is complete. Your duties will grow as your skills and knowledge increases but initially, they will include:
Supporting our Internal Development function:
- Playing an active role in the organisation of our award-winning STAR internal development programme by setting up masterclasses
- Helping with administration and offering administration support to the STARs with their charity event(s)
- Helping to plan internal training sessions
- Helping the wider P&D team and the STARs to co-ordinate some of our flagship events
- Scheduling internal communications such as state of the nation and "what we do" workshops
- Promoting recent AO news via on our internal web page; posters; TV screens and emails
- Keeping a record of internal development initiatives and events
- Helping to submit entries for awards
Supporting our Future Talent programme:
- Supporting our Future Talent Advisor at outreach events in school and colleges to educate young people on careers in AO, and help them with their employability skills
- Supporting at community fun days and talking to members of the public about life at AO
- Attending strategy meetings and networking with local and national organisations on how to improve employment and achievement in the local community
- Providing support with work experience placements and group site visits
- Taking part in conferences and presentations on the impact of our future talent initiative
- Evaluating and improving future talent activities to help ensure we are meeting our objectives
- Suggesting ideas to help us to engage and attract future generations into the business
- Being involved with the end-to-end recruitment process from creating adverts, to conducting telephone interviews and face to face interviews
- Scanning and filing all candidate documents in the correct location, to tight deadlines
- General ad-hoc administration
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
For our P&D Apprentice we will be looking for the following;
- Excellent organisation skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Have a creative mind to help with making posters and uploading content to the office TV screens
- Willing to cover events which may include late night and weekend events
- A keen desire to work in a People and Development team
- A keen desire and drive to build a long-term career with AO
- Enjoys being social and meeting new people
- Thrives on being part of activities throughout education
- Experience or understanding of a working environment is desirable
You will demonstrate the following skills;
The confidence and ability to talk and network with new people
Proficient on Excel, Word and PowerPoint
Organised and reliable
Self-motivation and initiative
Effective communication, especially verbal
Methodical and timely approach to tasks
Able to build and maintain relationships with colleagues and peers
Basic education levels of 5 GCSE grade C/4 minimum (or equivalent)
Have completed or about to complete NVQ level 3 or A-levels (or equivalent)
A Few Things About You
Our ideal Apprentice will be approachable and have a friendly personality. You will have a driven approach to improvements across the business and try to constantly find the smartest way in which to carry out your tasks. Being able to demonstrate a proactive approach with the ability to work under pressure and deliver objectives with a smile on your face is essential. Being well organised, working with purpose and flexible in your approach will be an integral part of this role. Someone who displays our values in everyday working life throughout their apprenticeship will make an excellent addition to our AO family.
Why Choose AO?
It’s not about the job you need now, it’s about who you want to be and where you want go. The thing about AO is that you don’t have to leave to move on. We have the kind of environment where people learn and thrive and be the best they can be. That’s our values talking.
We empower each and every person to push the boundaries of what’s possible. We’re growing rapidly and so should you. Our environment and our culture are vibrant and engaging, you almost have to feel it to believe it.
"Our people are our biggest asset, they’re our culture: that unique, indescribable thing that makes us really different."
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO employee you can take full advantage of our benefits package. As well as fundamental benefits, like pensions and holidays, we have designed our "AO Perks" to help you out financially, make your work life a little easier or make your home life a lot more fun.