About The Role
The Health and Safety Department are in place to help ensure that the business operates a safe working environment for those working on behalf or the business and our customers. The team works with everyone in the business to ensure we meet our legal requirements and continuously improve our business areas. This role will play a key part in supporting the night shift operations at some of our largest sites. The nightshift is a key part of the operational success of AO and this role will play a key role in this continuing. The role allows the successful candidate to work as part of growing team in the business and help to mold the future for of health and safety at AO. The role will report into the Health and Safety Manager for the UK and sit as part of the wider UK operations team.
Here's What You Can Expect To Be Doing
Through internal and external development the successful candidate will be required to ensure that our business complies with safety legislation, help to plan, implement and monitor the protective and preventative measures that our company follows to minimise operational losses, occupational health problems, accidents and injuries.
- Monitoring and review of company policies and procedures
- Preparing health & safety strategies and developing internal policy
- Carrying out risk assessments and considering how risks can be reduced
- Outlining safe working practices taking into account relevant hazards
- Carrying out regular audits to check health & safety policies and procedures are being implemented
- Planning practical and effective methods, both preventative and remedial, of promoting health and safety and safe working practices.
- Take part in regular health & safety meetings with operations
- Work with training to ensure that competency levels are met for all of our employees
- Keeping records of incidents & accidents and producing statistics on these records
- Producing reports suggesting improvements to policies and procedures
- Keeping up to date with new legislation and maintaining a working knowledge of all HSE legislation and any developments that affect the industry
- Ensuring the accident investigations process is carried out throughout the operation
- Provide support to the Group Health and Safety Manager
- Provide health and safety advice to Operational Managers
A Few Things About You
You will be a bold person who is passionate about promoting safe systems of work and implementing procedures to colleagues of all levels. You will be an approachable and happy member of the team who cares about the safety of all colleagues within the business. You will be able to work under pressure and be driven to deliver a professional service while maintaining the ability to have fun on the job. A combination of all this will make you an excellent addition to our AO family.
Our ideal candidate will come from a logistics background and will be;
- Thorough and proactive with the ability to make decisions in high pressure situations
- Comfortable in communicating with all levels of employees
- You will be competent in completing and recording in depth site health and safety inspections
- Managing relevant H&S information accountabilities
- Have the ability to manage the implementation of new procedures to the operation
- Flexible to the needs of the operation
- Passionate about a career and developing your skills
You will be skilled in the following areas;
- Excellent communication skills with all levels of colleagues
- Flexibility in the workplace and have great time management skills
- Have a good level of organisation
- You will have an understanding of health and safety law
- Competent in using Microsoft Office
- You will already hold at least the NEBOSH General Certificate
- You will be willing to study further for the required qualifications
A Bit About Us
At AO, we want to make sure our customers are happy. When they have a smile on their face, we know we’ve done a good job. It’s at the heart of everything we do, and it’s why our logo is always smiling.
When it comes to appliances and electricals, we’ve got the lot. Washing machines? Yep. TVs? Check. Laptops? Absolutely. Everything except doorbells (just kidding, we’ve got those too).
We’re passionate, relentless and full of beans, determined to make a difference and change the world for the better. From massive changes to tiny tweaks - making a difference is what keeps us driven.
It started at a pub in Bolton with a £1 bet and a belief that things could be done better!
Why Choose AO?
Our people are our superpower, and that’s no accident. We’re looking for everyday heroes who want to learn and help other people achieve. Those glass-half-full-types who have an appetite for a better tomorrow.
With AO, the sky’s the limit. We’ll support you to be the best version of yourself and always drive your career forward.
We keep things simple. We say things like "treat every customer like they’re your gran" and "make decisions your mum would be proud of" because we’re personal and act with integrity - every day in every action.