A Bit About Us
We may have started small, but we’ve always had very big ideas. We launched in 2001 and we just haven’t stopped; a years’ worth of achievements always seems more like three at AO.
Our customers are now our biggest advocates, and we’ve made millions of them happy. We’ve even launched in new territories throughout Europe. Sometimes we have to pinch ourselves.
But, we’re determined to be the best electrical retailer in Europe, and for that, you need to be driven. We need to be bold enough to try new things, and smart enough to see them through. We need to care about people, and we always like to have a little fun as we do it.
More About the Role
Our Night shift Supervisor will oversee the Night operation at our AvonmouthOutbase, ensuring the Outbase and the team of Transhipping Operatives along with the fleet of vehicles and our customer’s products are cared for and well looked after. You will continuously live each of our values in everything you do including safety, efficiency and cost effectiveness. Managing a team of Transhipping Operatives in the loading and unloading of products, your aim is to make sure every product is ready for delivery in first class condition to each of our customer’s the next day. All of our vehicles need to be road worthy, legal and compliant which you will hold responsibility for through also supervising the De-Briefer on shift. Our people make us work, so working alongside People and Development you will manage the overall performance of each member of your team.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
- Completing in-house reports to provide data required by the Outbase Manager, Regional Manager and Head Office on a daily basis.
* Checking that all vehicles leaving the Outbase are secure and meet required transport legislation requirements
* Effectively manage your team including HR issues, recruitment and engagement
* Ensure that all Employees are complying with the training to provide a safe working environment for everyone
* Complete alcohol testing when required
* Communicate with our Self Employed Drivers, handling any queries efficiently and in a professional manner
* Take responsibility for managing resource on each shift
YOU WILL BE EXPECTED TO DELIVER:
* Training for new starters to include Safe Systems of Work and Health & Safety
* Team Briefings on a daily/weekly basis
* People and Development Meetings/Engagement activities
A Few Things About You
You need to be able to build lasting, effective relationships with people around you even under pressure and in difficult situations. You must be smart enough to think on your feet and have a passion to drive our performance paying careful attention to the service we deliver for our customers. You will be enthusiastic and driven towards achieving high standards of quality and be bold enough to make key decisions quickly and trust your own judgement in the running of the Night operation.
* Previous experience within a Team Leader or Supervisory role
* People Management skills including HR processes
* Some awareness of Transport, Logistics, Distribution or Warehousing
* Knowledge of transport legislation and compliance to ensure all of our vehicles are legally compliant
* Able to remain calm and focussed under time pressure
* Able to solve problems independently and with confidence
* Able to communicate effectively especially by email and phone
* Has a logical and methodical approach to all tasks
* PC literate including warehouse software and Microsoft Packages
* Can use Excel to intermediate or advanced level
* Strong communicator
Why Choose AO?
It’s not about the job you need now, it’s about who you want to be and where you want go. The thing about AO is that you don’t have to leave to move on. We have the kind of environment where people learn and thrive and be the best they can be. That’s our values talking.
We empower each and every person to push the boundaries of what’s possible. We’re growing rapidly and so should you. Our environment and our culture are vibrant and engaging, you almost have to feel it to believe it. We’ve got everything you could need in one place, so it’s really no wonder we were named Retail Week Employer of the Year 2015.
"Our people are our biggest asset, they’re our culture: that unique, indescribable thing that makes us really different."
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO employee you can take full advantage of our benefits package. As well as fundamental benefits, like pensions and holidays, we have designed our "AO Perks" to help you out financially, make your work life a little easier or make your home life a lot more fun.