A Bit About Us
We may have started small, but we’ve always had very big ideas. We launched in 2000 and we just haven’t stopped; a years’ worth of achievements always seems more like three at AO.
Our customers and now our biggest advocates, and we’ve made millions of them happy. We’ve even launched in new territories throughout Europe. Sometimes we have to pinch ourselves.
But, we’re determined to be the best electrical retailer in Europe, and for that, you need to be driven. We need to be bold enough to try new things, and smart enough to see them through. We need to care about people, and we always like to have a little fun as we do it.
More About the Role
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Laboratory Technician to play an important part in the in-process and end-product quality assurance functions on a brand-new plastics recycling plant in Telford. The company’s end-of-life refrigeration equipment treatment plant has been operating for over 2 years and is now being expanded onto a newly acquired factory site where plastic recycling will take place. The company has recently invested in a state-of-the-art plastic recovery and refining process to produce recycled polymer that can be used to manufacture moulded or extruded component parts.
The managers are building a new team of self-motivated people to work on the commissioning phase of the installed equipment and to take the plant into full-scale operational status. The Laboratory will play a key role in delivering a successful outcome for this project.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
- Performing a suite of in-house laboratory testing procedures to make sure that all output plastics product meets the customer specification.
- * Assisting the Laboratory manager with defining and setting up of ‘in-process’ testing procedures to be carried out by the shift teams, so that each item of equipment can be verified as ‘performing to agreed specification level’.
- * Helping to monitor the day-to-day process control and on-plant testing procedures to ensure that every shift-team makes ‘on-specification’ product to a high process yield.
- * Operating a quality monitoring and reporting system to create an auditable record of all production tonnages.
- * Assisting the Laboratory Manager with specifying and sourcing apparatus and test equipment needed to help drive up product quality and quantifying the value increase associated with that.
- * Working with the Laboratory Manager and technical sales team to provide product quality information and materials specification sheets to meet customer requirements.
- * Working with the Laboratory Manager with helping to grow the laboratory and in-process testing systems that will be required to meet the needs of this new growth area for the business as new infeed waste plastics types and output products are added to the mix.
- * Making sure that all people visiting or working in the laboratory environment follow the high standards of health & safety necessary to protect themselves and others.
- Assist the Laboratory Manager in working towards a certified Quality Standard (e.g. ISO 9001 / 14001) to match existing company certification standards.
A Few Things About You
Applicants to be considered for the position must have some or all of the following:
- * Minimum 2-3 years practical experience in a polymer or similar laboratory testing environment.
- * Science Degree or Technical Qualification (preferred) demonstrating analytical capabilities carried out with a high level of diligence, accuracy and numeracy.
- * Experience of working to an ISO Testing standard and familiar with BSI 9001 quality assurance principles.
- * Reporting to the Laboratory Manager, the candidate must be able to operate with minimal direct supervision. Building strong working relationships with the shift process operator teams will also be key to success.
- * Although a polymer testing background would be preferred full training in the current tests will be provided.
- * The right attitude towards quality and a flexible approach.
At AO we believe diversity will help us find a better way. We want our workforce to be as diverse as our customers by celebrating, valuing and respecting every individual. We achieve this by nurturing a culture of inclusion where every voice matters. We welcome applications from everyone and we can make adjustments to our interview process according to your needs.
Why Choose AO?
It’s not about the job you need now, it’s about who you want to be and where you want go. The thing about AO is that you don’t have to leave to move on. We have the kind of environment where people learn and thrive and be the best they can be. That’s our values talking.
We empower each and every person to push the boundaries of what’s possible. We’re growing rapidly and so should you. Our environment and our culture are vibrant and engaging, you almost have to feel it to believe it.
"Our people are our biggest asset, they’re our culture: that unique, indescribable thing that makes us really different."
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO employee you can take full advantage of our benefits package. As well as fundamental benefits, like pensions and holidays, we have designed our "AO Perks" to help you out financially, make your work life a little easier or make your home life a lot more fun.