A Bit About Us
At AO, we’re in the business of better tomorrows for our customers, and we do whatever it takes to make sure they’re the happiest they can be. We may sell everything from washing machines to PlayStations, but putting smiles on our customers’ faces is at the heart of everything we do.
We’re big believers in making sure every job is done properly, which is why we do everything the AO way. Our award-winning teams work their magic behind the scenes to make sure every customer’s experience is totally effortless. We do our bit for the environment too, with our very own recycling plant to make sure we’re as green as we look. We’re always looking for ways to make our customers as happy as can be, wherever possible.
More About the Role
We’re looking for a developer with a can-do pragmatic approach to software development. The logistics team is going through exciting changes that involve the design and development of new systems, improving existing systems and working with some of the very latest technologies available.
You will be a key member of the team, actively suggesting improvements and collaborating with, and mentoring existing team members. You will have access to the tools and resources to do your job and you’ll have the opportunity to participate in multiple internal interest groups such as DevOps and Continuous Delivery.
You can also take up to 5 days out of the business a year to use for development in your role and we’ll cover the cost.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
- Work on a new platform using modern technologies such as AWS, React, Java 11 and Spring boot.
- Writing well designed code including the use of TDD/BDD
- Involvement in software and architectural activities and decisions
- Identifying production and non-production application issues
- Transforming requirements into solutions
- Improving existing applications
- Pair programming and code reviews
- Support innovation and continuous improvement by investigating and researching technologies that are fit for purpose
- Mentoring existing team members
A Few Things About You
* Minimum of 2 years experience using Java 8 and onwards (earlier versions will be considered)
* Spring/Spring boot experience
* API development inclusive of building RESTful services and microservices
* Junit and Mockito experience
* Maven and Git Experience
* Good interpersonal and communication skills
* Agile development experience
Nice to haves:
- Knowledge of JDBI
- Knowledge of React
- DevOps experience (such as AWS, Azure DevOps)
- Mentoring skills
We believe that in order for you to do your best, we need to support your other commitments. This means working in a way that offers you flexibility, whilst getting the job done. Feel free to have a chat with us about our flexible ways of working.
At AO we believe diversity will help us find a better way. We want our workforce to be as diverse as our customers by celebrating, valuing and respecting every individual. We achieve this by nurturing a culture of inclusion where every voice matters. We welcome applications from everyone and we can make adjustments to our interview process according to your needs.
Why Choose AO?
We’re in the business of better tomorrows, for both our customers and our people. A better tomorrow means finding a place that’ll reward your curiosity. A place that encourages you to ask ‘why’. Somewhere that feeds your imagination and gives you the support to bring those ideas to life.
If you’re the kind of person who wants to learn and help others achieve, who always sees the glass half-full with an appetite for what’s next, you’ll fit right in with us.
In return, you’ll be an integral part of an award-winning team who are forward-thinking and innovative. You can also take up to 5 days out of the business a year to use for development in your role and we’ll cover the cost.
We’re about looking at the bigger picture - the better tomorrow. And no matter what that looks like to you, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to make it happen.
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO’er you can take full advantage of the benefits and perks we have to offer
- Feel free to have a chat with us about our flexible ways of working.
- You can take up to 5 days out of the business a year to use for development in your role and we’ll cover the cost.
- We have our own library, if you've seen something which interests you, we can order in a copy. Just add it to the library when you've done.
- 25 days holiday (Excluding Bank Holidays)
- At least 5% contribution pension scheme
- Dedicated wellness initiatives that support a healthy work / life balance, ranging from our 24hr employee assistance programme to subsidised gym membership.
To see all of our benefits and perks visit our AO Benefits page.