About The Role
As our Health & Safety Advisor you will build and maintain working relationships with the operations senior team, health & safety manager(s) and advisors as well as external bodies.
Here's What You Can Expect To Be Doing
You will ensure that our business and southern outbases comply with safety legislation by helping to plan, implement and monitor the protective and preventative measures that our company follows to minimise operational losses, occupational health problems, accidents and injuries: You will be expected to;
- Monitoring and review of company policies and procedures
- Preparing health & safety strategies and developing internal policy
- Carrying out risk assessments and considering how risks can be reduced
- Outlining safe working practices taking into account relevant hazards
- Carrying out regular audits to check health & safety policies and procedures are being implemented
- Planning practical and effective methods, both preventative and remedial, of promoting health and safety and safe working practices.
- Take part in regular health & safety meetings with operations
- Work with training to ensure that safe systems of work are rolled out throughout the business
- Keeping records of incidents & accidents and producing statistics on these records
- Producing reports suggesting improvements to policies and procedures
- Keeping up to date with new legislation and maintaining a working knowledge of all HSE legislation and any developments that affect the industry
- Ensuring the accident investigations process is carried out throughout the operation
- Provide support to the Group Health and Safety Manager
- Provide health and safety advice to the central Operations function
- Providing reporting information to different department managers
A Few Things About You
You will be a bold person who is passionate about promoting safe systems of work and implementing systems and procedures to colleagues of all levels. You will be an approachable and happy member of the team who cares about the safety of all colleagues within the business. You will be able to work under pressure and be driven to deliver a professional service while maintaining the ability to have fun on the job. A combination of all this will make you an excellent addition to our AO family.
Our ideal candidate will come from a logistical background. However, this should not discourage persons to apply who come from similarly disciplined work areas such as Construction or Facilities H&S. You will have experience of operations and implementing/monitoring safety systems and procedures in that environment. You will have proven experience of maintaining company health & safety policies and practices and also ensuring that preventative measures are rolled out to colleagues of all levels using practical and effective methods.
You will be:
- Thorough and proactive, with the ability to make decisions in high pressure situations;
- Comfortable reporting to senior team members;
- You will be competent in completing and recording in depth site health and safety inspections;
- Managing relevant H&S information accountabilities;
- Have the ability to manage the implementation of new procedures to widespread business locations;
- Open to traveling for work to monitor policies and procedures at multiple locations;
- Working some night shifts and the ability to plan your own work schedule
- Excellent communication skills with all levels of colleagues;
- Flexibility in the workplace and have great time management skills
- You will have an up to date and working knowledge of all Health & Safety Executive legislation;
- You will hold the NEBOSH general certificate as a minimum;
- Competent in using the Microsoft office package.
A Bit About Us
We may have started small, but we’ve always had very big ideas. We launched in 2000 and we just haven’t stopped; a years’ worth of achievements always seems more like three at AO.
Our customers and now our biggest advocates, and we’ve made millions of them happy. We’ve even launched in new territories throughout Europe. Sometimes we have to pinch ourselves.
But, we’re determined to be the best electrical retailer in Europe, and for that, you need to be driven. We need to be bold enough to try new things, and smart enough to see them through. We need to care about people, and we always like to have a little fun as we do it.
Why Choose AO?
It’s not about the job you need now, it’s about who you want to be and where you want go. The thing about AO is that you don’t have to leave to move on. We have the kind of environment where people learn and thrive and be the best they can be. That’s our values talking.
We empower each and every person to push the boundaries of what’s possible. We’re growing rapidly and so should you. Our environment and our culture are vibrant and engaging, you almost have to feel it to believe it.
"Our people are our biggest asset, they’re our culture: that unique, indescribable thing that makes us really different."
We’ve designed our benefits to cover everything from big moments to little helps. As well all as the essentials, like pensions and holidays, we’ve got our own "AO Perks" to help you with the little things that matter.
To see all our benefits and perks, visit our AO Benefits page.
• 25 days holiday (Excluding Bank Holidays)
• At least 5% contribution pension scheme*
• Dedicated wellness initiatives that support your wellbeing, ranging from our 24hr employee assistance programme to subsidised gym membership.