A Bit About Us
We’re a bunch of people who go to great lengths to make sure our customers are the happiest customers out there. We may sell everything from washing machines to PlayStations, but at our core we’re a people business.
We roll up our sleeves and work together to make things happen. From logistics, recycling to our award winning IT teams, almost everything we do, we do ourselves to make sure every aspect of our customer journey is done properly.
We launched in 2000 as a result of a £1 bet in a Bolton pub. 18 years later we have a 5* TrustPilot rating (after 100K reviews), expanded our business into Europe and floated on the London stock exchange, but we never lose sight of what we’re about.
More About the Role
Our head of external communications exists to find, share and tell our stories, making AO famous for its difference and a loved brand. Not just any old stories but those tales that will attract customers, inspire our colleagues and engage our partners. It takes relentless planning, attention to detail, great relationships inside and out of AO, inspirational team leadership and a nose for news.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
- Manages a team of eight individuals responsible for corporate and consumer external communications working across all earned media including financial communications
- Responsible for preparing and implementing a rolling 12-month integrated communications plan covering AO World and all subsidiary business units in the UK and Europe.
- Act as a subject matter expert advising the business including at Executive level on media and communications including crisis management
- Responsible for the administration of a c£800k budget
- Lead a busy front line press office team who are dealing with incoming media enquiries and ensuring a constant flow of positive AO news and stories across earned and owned channels
- Manage external agencies to ensure quality work and output aligned to the overall brand and communications plan
- Work closely with senior business unit leaders to develop news stories and content ideas that support business objectives
- Develop communications campaigns and strategies to deliver agreed business objectives
- Build and nurture relationships with business partners, NGOs, campaign groups and journalists to promote and protect the AO brand
- Deputise for the Director of Communications where required
A Few Things About You
- Builds strong relationships internally and externally at all levels
- Comfortable challenging conventions
- Collaborative approach to building communications campaigns and alignment with marketing
- Fast thinking approach to prioritising work requests at pace
- Strong problem solving skills and able to think on their feet
- Confident presentation style able to simply convey complex ideas and theories
Why Choose AO?
At AO, our culture and our AO’way of doing things is vital to our success. We’re passionate people, determined to do whatever’s necessary to make our customers happy.
The AO motto is "treat every customer like you’d expect your nan to be treated, and make decisions your mum would be proud of". To do this, we train and empower each and every AO’er to strive for better ways of doing whatever they are doing.
Our AO’ers don’t just go through the motions and follow processes, it just isn’t our thing. We don’t follow trends, we set them.
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO employee you can take full advantage of our benefits package. As well as the fundamentals, like pensions and holidays, we have designed our "AO Perks" to help you out financially and make your work life a little easier.