About The Role
The growth in AO means we are seeking a new role of Group Insurance Manager with responsibility for leading the Group’s insurance function.
The role can be split into two areas:
Firstly the day-to-day management of AO’s group-wide insurance programme, working closely with stakeholders across the business and managing key external partner relationships to ensure that the Group’s insurable risks and assets are sufficiently and appropriately protected. You’ll be required to identify any key areas of exposure against the Group’s risk appetite and to provide advice and guidance on insurance matters to all parts of the business. You will also have responsibility for delivering the most cost-effective annual insurance renewal programme to meet both the needs of individual business areas and the wider Group.
Secondly, you’ll be required to provide guidance and support to AO’s self-insured claims handling function, a four strong team based in Crewe, ensuring the best outcome on claims, working across the business to build relationships and strategies to drive down incident rates and to create meaningful data for senior management.
Although we are currently working remotely, in the future we’d expect a blend of home and office working. Regular travel to our sites would be required, including at least one day a week in Crewe. The role would sit within AO’s wider Corporate Services team based in Lostock and report into the Deputy Company Secretary. We are happy to consider those seeking either a full or part-time role.
We are seeking an individual with substantial and recent experience in insurance broking, underwriting or claim handling duties either within a broker, insurance company or in-house in an organisation similar to AO. Knowledge gained from a practical perspective in managing tasks and making decisions independently in an insurance environment together with knowledge of the renewal and tender process is desired. A team player with strong interpersonal, oral and written skills is essential.
Here's What You Can Expect To Be Doing
Ensure that there is sufficient and appropriate protection for the Group's insurable risks and assets through the economic transfer of risk:
* In collaboration with appointed insurance broker design, negotiate and place insurance covers;
* Interpreting policy wordings from a number of insurance companies. A good understanding of various classes of business is required e.g. property, business interruption, motor and liabilities (including D&O); and
* Provide complex advice to departments on the cover they require and the interpretation of current cover in place.
To identify and highlight to senior management those risks that are either uninsured (due to being risks that are not capable of insurance) or not insured due to the economics of the transfer of the risk or the risk appetite of the Group:
* Understanding the external environmental changes that are taking place and how this impacts upon risks faced by the departments and Corporate risks;
* Be able to assist in the production of management information to departments;
* Undertake effective loss monitoring, identification and reporting of loss patterns to relevant managers and colleagues;
* Identify, through collaboration, site visits, surveys, claims etc. any risks to the business. If those risks are insurable or not and If they are insured or not; and
* Implement initiatives for risk management in collaboration with other departments.
To efficiently oversee, support and collaborate with the claims team manager in the management of self-insured claims under the Property, Liability and Motor programmes; involving:
- good knowledge and understanding of legal and litigation processes for the main liabilities expected of an organisation in our sector; and
* provide or assist in identification of loss and assist in undertaking loss analysis.
A Few Things About You
- Ability to assimilate information and give clear advice upon it
* Ability to work to tight timescales and manage times effectively to cope with the conflicting demands and deadlines
* Ability to handle claims independently for various classes of business in an efficient and cost effective
* Ability to help improve systems and working methods for greater efficiency and effectiveness
* Ability to manage the renewal process and assist with the management of the Tender process
* Be able to develop and implement an appropriate risk financing policy through efficient risk
* transfer/insurance and risk retention programmes
* Be able to organise and manage global insurance programmes ensuring effective use of the Group’s buying power.
* Be able to develop and review the risk retention/self-insurance programmes utilising data to analyse the cost/ benefit of programme structures and retention levels.
* Be able to leverage and manage relationships and performance with external parties including the Group’s insurers, brokers and other specialist advisers to ensure that best solutions/value is obtained for the premium and fees paid
* Be able to communicate, engage, advise and support all levels of staff and entities within the Group and be the subject matter expert for the Group
* Be able to advise, manage, settle and report all claims regardless of insurance class, complexity or jurisdiction
* Be able to review and revise insurance elements of commercial contracts with the Group’s clients and suppliers
* Be able to request, review, collate and assess information for annual insurance renewal
* Be able to provide advice, reports and papers to internal interested parties as required
* Align and integrate the insurance issues arising from acquisitions and disposals
A Bit About Us
At AO, we want to make sure our customers are happy. When they have a smile on their face, we know we’ve done a good job. It’s at the heart of everything we do, and it’s why our logo is always smiling.
When it comes to appliances and electricals, we’ve got the lot. Washing machines? Yep. TVs? Check. Laptops? Absolutely. Everything except doorbells (just kidding, we’ve got those too).
We’re passionate, relentless and full of beans, determined to make a difference and change the world for the better. From massive changes to tiny tweaks - making a difference is what keeps us driven.
It started at a pub in Bolton with a £1 bet and a belief that things could be done better!
Why Choose AO?
Our people are our superpower, and that’s no accident. We’re looking for everyday heroes who want to learn and help other people achieve. Those glass-half-full-types who have an appetite for a better tomorrow.
With AO, the sky’s the limit. We’ll support you to be the best version of yourself and always drive your career forward.
We keep things simple. We say things like "treat every customer like they’re your gran" and "make decisions your mum would be proud of" because we’re personal and act with integrity - every day in every action.
We’ve designed our benefits to cover everything from big moments to little helps. As well all as the essentials, like pensions and holidays, we’ve got our own "AO Perks" to help you with the little things that matter.
To see all our benefits and perks, visit our AO Benefits page.
• 25 days holiday (Excluding Bank Holidays)
• At least 5% contribution pension scheme*
• Dedicated wellness initiatives that support your wellbeing, ranging from our 24hr employee assistance programme to subsidised gym membership.