A Bit About Us
We may have started small, but we’ve always had very big ideas. We launched in 2000 and we just haven’t stopped; a years’ worth of achievements always seems more like three at AO.
Our customers and now our biggest advocates, and we’ve made millions of them happy. We’ve even launched in new territories throughout Europe. Sometimes we have to pinch ourselves.
But, we’re determined to be the best electrical retailer in Europe, and for that, you need to be driven. We need to be bold enough to try new things, and smart enough to see them through. We need to care about people, and we always like to have a little fun as we do it.
More About the Role
At AO Recycling, we are committed to extracting as much value as possible from the waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) that is thrown away by UK households every year. Like the rest of the AO Group, we are a very exciting and enthusiastic company to work for. The role will be located at our plant in Telford, Shropshire, which uses state of the art technology and is able to process more items, more efficiently than any other site in the UK.
We are growing rapidly and so with that, opportunities to develop and try new approaches become aplenty. If you are an energetic, hands on, innovative professional, this is the environment for you. We are part of a bigger group and with that backing comes stability and support for our business. And it is always worth remembering - we run a profitable business whilst doing the right thing for the environment.
Within the core value of delivering Excellence the Goods in-Out Processing Manager will focus the Shift Co-Ordinators, Supervisors and Operative employees, to deliver and exceed the agreed budget. The Goods in-Out Processing Manager will develop the departmental team through providing direction; guidance, support, coaching and mentoring, to ensure all KPI's are delivered in line with the budget.
The Goods in-Out Processing Manager must promote the highest levels of quality and performance whilst driving Health and Safety culture, and employee welfare. With the changing dynamic within the retail sector the operation must be managed in a way that ensure capability to move and flow with the changing patterns of volume, therefore a flexible capability must be at the forefront of the role.
To ensure consistency of approach the Goods in-Out Processing Manager will work very closely with the respective teams and other managers to ensure the departments performance is achieved as a minimum and exceeded as a rule.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
Manage the fast-paced Recycling Processing Department reporting directly to the Director of Operations.
Build a strong team focused on quality and efficiency in everything they do in a safe and clean working environment by using methodologies and tools like 5S, KAIZEN or other CI Techniques. Coach managers and staff using basic CI Tools to deliver a CI Culture. Focus on the needs of the teams as well as act consistently and with resolve.
Take responsibility for ensuring all activities and personnel within the departments, comply with site Health, Safety and Environmental policies and regulations, working closely with the HSE department, whilst helping the deliver a world class HSE culture. Ensure all activities comply with relevant environmental regulations, permits and licences associated with the site.
Work closely with the Engineering Function and help maintain an effective PPM for the department.
Conduct regular reviews of operational capability and produce clear action plans to drive required improvement.
A Few Things About You
Applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK permanently and without restrictions. Key knowledge and skills for the Goods in-Out Processing Manager:
* Knowledge of working in a Recycling facility would be desirable
* Demonstrated implementation knowledge of CI techniques, specifically 5S and KAIZEN Projects
* Experience of working at a management level in a fast-paced environment with large scale growth
* Effective contribution to the achievement of our business plan by focusing on key KPI targets, driving accountability and consistently challenging and involving the team to achieve results.
* Review & rotate stock levels by product regarding any physical stock level discrepancies
* Housekeeping responsibility - ensure all Warehouse areas are improved/maintained.
* Carry out annual appraisals and reviews with direct reports in line with our appraisal system
* Monitor and control absence levels within the department
* To improve efficiency across the department, driving out any inefficiencies
* Ensure control of operation’s during and outside normal working hours
* Demonstratable experience in managing large numbers of people (50+) with multi teams and different shift patterns.
* Evidence of the capability to deliver visible, impactful change
* Demonstrable initiative, showing ownership of operational delivery
* Acting with confidence, operating well under own direction
* Organising and motivating teams and individuals
* Strong Leadership and People Management skills
* Focused on the detail and root cause analysis
* Strong communication skills and ability to build relationships quickly
* A strong tenacious character who is willing to question the status quo
* Strong employee relations skills
* Self-sufficient and proactive
* The ability to take on/prioritise own workload
* Good interpersonal skills, confident in your approach
* Pro-active and flexible
* Organised, structured approach to work
This is an excellent opportunity to join an established and growing business, building on the current successes already delivered in a short time within the Operations function.
* Education and Qualifications
* Minimum 5 years’ operational experience with at least 3 years at the Manufacturing/Processing Manager level or equivalent
* Level 5 ILM level education (or equivalent, could be through apprenticeship or other pathway) is a must.
* WAMITAB preferable but not essential
* IOSH Qualified
Why Choose AO?
It’s not about the job you need now, it’s about who you want to be and where you want go. The thing about AO is that you don’t have to leave to move on. We have the kind of environment where people learn and thrive and be the best they can be. That’s our values talking.
We empower each and every person to push the boundaries of what’s possible. We’re growing rapidly and so should you. Our environment and our culture are vibrant and engaging, you almost have to feel it to believe it.
"Our people are our biggest asset, they’re our culture: that unique, indescribable thing that makes us really different."
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO employee you can take full advantage of our benefits package. As well as fundamental benefits, like pensions and holidays, we have designed our "AO Perks" to help you out financially, make your work life a little easier or make your home life a lot more fun.