A Bit About Us
At AO, we’re in the business of better tomorrows for our customers, and we do whatever it takes to make sure they’re the happiest they can be. We may sell everything from washing machines to PlayStations, but putting smiles on our customers’ faces is at the heart of everything we do.
We’re big believers in making sure every job is done properly, which is why we do everything the AO way. Our award-winning teams work their magic behind the scenes to make sure every customer’s experience is totally effortless. We do our bit for the environment too, with our very own recycling plant to make sure we’re as green as we look. We’re always looking for ways to make our customers as happy as can be, wherever possible.
More About the Role
We are always hunting for Engineers who enjoy keeping up to date with the latest trends and are keen to learn new skills and hone their coding craft.
You will be an integral part of an autonomous, aligned team following the "Build it. Ship it, Support it" mantra.
They’re a team that are always innovating, always looking to learn more about how we can leverage technology, data and insight to further improve the experience of our customers. We’re striving towards our goal of having the best IT systems in Europe and have some hugely exciting and challenging projects on the go and in the pipeline for 2018/19 and beyond.
If you’re looking for a role that will challenge and push your technical skills to the limit and provide you with an opportunity to become a key figure at the Bolton office to add to our current (200+ members) award winning IT team (British Computer Society IT Team of the Year 2017 and runner up for Best Place To Work In IT), then this could be the role for you.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
A full stack developer in the AO Last Mile team- highly experienced in Android development. The right person will lead the Android development and help cross train the rest of the team. They will be a pivotal part of the team and help shape the future direction of the teams products and services.
A Few Things About You
- Proven Android development experience
- Design, build and maintain high performance, reusable Java code
- Strong knowledge of Android SDKs
- Strong knowledge of Android UI design principles, patterns and best practices
- Experience with offline storage, threading and performance tuning
- Experience with RESTful APIs to call backend web services
- Experience with cloud message APIs and push notifications
- Experience of the DotNet framework using C#.Net
- Web service development, e.g. WCF, RESTFul
- TDD / SOLID Principles
- Willingness to learn new stuff
- Ability to understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements
- SQL Server
- Continuous integration, e.g. Octopus, TeamCity
We believe that in order for you to do your best, we need to support your other commitments. This means working in a way that offers you flexibility, whilst getting the job done. Feel free to have a chat with us about our flexible ways of working.
At AO we believe diversity will help us find a better way. We want our workforce to be as diverse as our customers by celebrating, valuing and respecting every individual. We achieve this by nurturing a culture of inclusion where every voice matters. We welcome applications from everyone and we can make adjustments to our interview process according to your needs.
Why Choose AO?
We’re in the business of better tomorrows, for both our customers and our people. A better tomorrow means finding a place that’ll reward your curiosity. A place that encourages you to ask ‘why’. Somewhere that feeds your imagination and gives you the support to bring those ideas to life.
If you’re the kind of person who wants to learn and help others achieve, who always sees the glass half-full with an appetite for what’s next, you’ll fit right in with us.
In return, you’ll be an integral part of an award-winning team who are forward-thinking and innovative. You can also take up to 5 days out of the business a year to use for development in your role and we’ll cover the cost.
We’re about looking at the bigger picture - the better tomorrow. And no matter what that looks like to you, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to make it happen.
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO’er you can take full advantage of the benefits and perks we have to offer
- Feel free to have a chat with us about our flexible ways of working.
- You can take up to 5 days out of the business a year to use for development in your role and we’ll cover the cost.
- We have our own library, if you've seen something which interests you, we can order in a copy. Just add it to the library when you've done.
- 25 days holiday (Excluding Bank Holidays)
- At least 5% contribution pension scheme
- Dedicated wellness initiatives that support a healthy work / life balance, ranging from our 24hr employee assistance programme to subsidised gym membership.
To see all of our benefits and perks visit our AO Benefits page.