A Bit About Us
At AO, we’re in the business of better tomorrows for our customers, and we do whatever it takes to make sure they’re the happiest they can be. We may sell everything from washing machines to PlayStations, but putting smiles on our customers’ faces is at the heart of everything we do.
We’re big believers in making sure every job is done properly, which is why we do everything the AO way. Our award-winning teams work their magic behind the scenes to make sure every customer’s experience is totally effortless. We do our bit for the environment too, with our very own recycling plant to make sure we’re as green as we look. We’re always looking for ways to make our customers as happy as can be, wherever possible.
More About the Role
The Front End team at AO are constantly striving to deliver the best possible experiences for our customers. From cutting edge front end pages to full-stack internal tooling, the opportunities are endless.
There has never been a better time to join the team as we have some hugely exciting and challenging projects on the go and in the pipeline for 2019 and beyond.
You’ll be working as part of a team made up of industry leading UX designers, developers, QAs and UAT analysts, with plenty of opportunities to pair program and learn from developers who really care about creating world class software.
If you’re looking for a role that will challenge and push your technical skills and provide you with an opportunity to become an integral member of the team, joining our current (200+ members) award winning IT team then this could be the role for you.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
- As a Front End Developer at AO you’ll be a key member of a cross functional development team working across the core user journey of our UK, German, Dutch and Trade websites.
- You’ll be architecting feature-rich, responsive, insight fuelled user interfaces using an array of modern and ever evolving technologies.
- MVT (A/B/n testing) sits at the heart of everything we do. You’ll run tests across the entire product, testing against a plethora of imaginative, data fuelled hypotheses.
- We take our company values seriously to maintain and evolve our famous internal culture that’s often imitated, never duplicated.
- We aim to attract the most talented developers or those with the most potential and, to achieve this, offer a mountain of opportunities for development (both technical and soft skill) and perks. These include weekly workshops, monthly hack days, free tech book scheme, online training site subscriptions, working on Open Source projects, five days paid training per year, speaking opportunities, conferences etc.
A Few Things About You
We’re looking for a Senior Front End Developer who has a set of qualities that we feel will make you a great fit for the role. A Senior Developer who:
- Actively wants to and can help shape technical decisions within the teams
- Cares deeply about engineering conventions and playing a key role in our pursuit of a Best in Class Front End experience
- Can lead by example in Agile software delivery practices
- Welcomes autonomy to drive their own Initiatives to help the team and mentor team members to inspire their development
- You love to build beautiful responsive UIs that degrade gracefully and progressively enhance.
- You have great attention to detail and aren’t happy until your UI is as good as it can be. Usability is at the heart of your work and you understand the capability of your users and their devices.
- You really enjoy modern front-end technologies and have your finger on the pulse of the industry.
- You’re familiar with unit and end to end testing, and the typical testing library vocabulary and conventions.
- You truly care about the impact Performance and Accessibility on users, and this is demonstrated in your work.
- You understand and enjoy Agile software delivery practices.
- You can collaborate well, are able to discuss ideas and share knowledge in a convivial manner.
- You are driven and motivated to bring new ideas to the team to help us continually improve and evolve.
If you feel some of these describe you, and you like the sound of a new challenge working for one of the top E-commerce platforms in Europe, get in touch. We look forward to hearing from you.
We believe that in order for you to do your best, we need to support your other commitments. This means working in a way that offers you flexibility, whilst getting the job done. Feel free to have a chat with us about our flexible ways of working.
At AO we believe diversity will help us find a better way. We want our workforce to be as diverse as our customers by celebrating, valuing and respecting every individual. We achieve this by nurturing a culture of inclusion where every voice matters. We welcome applications from everyone and we can make adjustments to our interview process according to your needs.
Why Choose AO?
We’re in the business of better tomorrows, for both our customers and our people. A better tomorrow means finding a place that’ll reward your curiosity. A place that encourages you to ask ‘why’. Somewhere that feeds your imagination and gives you the support to bring those ideas to life.
If you’re the kind of person who wants to learn and help others achieve, who always sees the glass half-full with an appetite for what’s next, you’ll fit right in with us.
In return, you’ll be an integral part of an award-winning team who are forward-thinking and innovative. You can also take up to 5 days out of the business a year to use for development in your role and we’ll cover the cost.
We’re about looking at the bigger picture - the better tomorrow. And no matter what that looks like to you, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to make it happen.
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO’er you can take full advantage of the benefits and perks we have to offer
- Feel free to have a chat with us about our flexible ways of working.
- You can take up to 5 days out of the business a year to use for development in your role and we’ll cover the cost.
- We have our own library, if you've seen something which interests you, we can order in a copy. Just add it to the library when you've done.
- 25 days holiday (Excluding Bank Holidays)
- At least 5% contribution pension scheme
- Dedicated wellness initiatives that support a healthy work / life balance, ranging from our 24hr employee assistance programme to subsidised gym membership.
To see all of our benefits and perks visit our AO Benefits page.