More About the Role
The Checkout team are an agile, diverse, cross-functional team with a modern forward-facing tech stack and a progressive view of what it is to be a team. We are relentless in our pursuit of crafting an amazing checkout experience for our customers using a combination of creativity and data-led insights.
We’re a team that is always innovating, always looking to learn more about how customers navigate through the purchasing phase of our website and how we can leverage technology, data and insight to further improve the experience for them.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
- In conjunction with our UX, Data Scientists and QA teams you’ll be designing, crafting and iterating on a rich, responsive, insight fuelled UI using an array of modern and ever-evolving full-stack technologies
- You’ll work on a multi-national application (AO.com, AO.de and AO.nl) used by millions of people every day, helping us in our mission to house a Best-In-Class checkout journey
- MVT (A/B/n testing) sits at the heart of everything we do. You’ll work with our optimisation team to run tests across the entire application, testing against a plethora of imaginative, data-fuelled hypotheses
- We take our company values seriously at AO to maintain and evolve our famous internal culture that’s often imitated, never duplicated
- We aim to attract the most talented developers or those with the most potential and, to achieve this, offer a mountain of development (both technical and soft skill) opportunities and perks (including weekly workshops, monthly hack days, free tech book scheme, online training site subscriptions, working on Open Source projects, five days paid training per year, speaking opportunities, conferences etc).
A Few Things About You
We are looking for developers with experience in web-based technology and development of front end systems.
We prefer close collaboration, so you need to be a great communicator and have solid interpersonal skills. Maintaining strong expertise and knowledge of current and emerging technologies and products is key.
We use the following technologies daily, so commercial experience with them is beneficial, although you don’t need to be a master at them:
- HTML / CSS / SASS
- CSS frameworks / libraries
- Node JS based tooling (Gulp / Webpack etc.)
- Experience of cloud solutions / AWS / Azure
- Solid understanding of the practical application of agile development methods
- TDD/ Unit testing /Jest
- An understanding of accessibility and WCAG standards
- Good understanding of browser discrepancies
- Familiarity with developing for mobile devices
- Understanding of unit testing
- CMS Experience (Wordpress/Sitecore)
- Page performance/optimisation knowledge
- Good knowledge of Web APIs
 View our full tech stack here
Why Choose AO?
We’re in the business of better tomorrows, for both our customers and our people. A better tomorrow means finding a place that’ll reward your curiosity. A place that encourages you to ask ‘why’. Somewhere that feeds your imagination and gives you the support to bring those ideas to life.
If you’re the kind of person who wants to learn and help others achieve, who always sees the glass half-full with an appetite for what’s next, you’ll fit right in with us.
In return, you’ll be an integral part of an award-winning team who are forward-thinking and innovative. You can also take up to 5 days out of the business a year to use for development in your role and we’ll cover the cost.
We’re about looking at the bigger picture - the better tomorrow. And no matter what that looks like to you, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to make it happen.
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO’er you can take full advantage of the benefits and perks we have to offer
- Feel free to have a chat with us about our flexible ways of working.
- You can take up to 5 days out of the business a year to use for development in your role and we’ll cover the cost.
- We have our own library, if you've seen something which interests you, we can order in a copy. Just add it to the library when you've done.
- 25 days holiday (Excluding Bank Holidays)
- At least 5% contribution pension scheme
- Dedicated wellness initiatives that support a healthy work / life balance, ranging from our 24hr employee assistance programme to subsidised gym membership.
To see all of our benefits and perks visit our  AO Benefits page.