More About the Role
The Front End team at AO are constantly striving to deliver the best possible experiences for our customers. From cutting edge front end pages to full-stack internal tooling, the opportunities are endless.
There has never been a better time to join the team as we have some hugely exciting and challenging projects on the go and in the pipeline for 2019 and beyond.
You’ll be working as part of a team made up of industry leading UX designers, developers, QAs and UAT analysts, with plenty of opportunities to pair program and learn from developers who really care about creating world class software.
If you’re looking for a role that will challenge and push your technical skills and provide you with an opportunity to become an integral member of the team, joining our current (200+ members) award winning IT team then this could be the role for you.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
- As a Front End Developer at AO you’ll be a key member of a cross functional development team working across the core user journey of our UK, German, Dutch and Trade websites.
- You’ll be architecting feature-rich, responsive, insight fuelled user interfaces using an array of modern and ever evolving technologies.
- MVT (A/B/n testing) sits at the heart of everything we do. You’ll run tests across the entire product, testing against a plethora of imaginative, data fuelled hypotheses.
- We take our company values seriously to maintain and evolve our famous internal culture that’s often imitated, never duplicated.
- We aim to attract the most talented developers or those with the most potential and, to achieve this, offer a mountain of opportunities for development (both technical and soft skill) and perks. These include weekly workshops, monthly hack days, free tech book scheme, online training site subscriptions, working on Open Source projects, five days paid training per year, speaking opportunities, conferences etc.
A Few Things About You
We are looking for developers with experience in web-based technology and development of front end systems.
We prefer close collaboration, so you need to be a great communicator and have solid interpersonal skills. Maintaining strong expertise and knowledge of current and emerging technologies and products is key.
We use the following technologies daily, so commercial experience with them is beneficial, although you don’t need to be a master at them:
- HTML / CSS / SASS
- CSS frameworks / libraries
- Node JS based tooling (Gulp / Webpack etc.)
- Experience of cloud solutions / AWS / Azure
- Solid understanding of the practical application of agile development methods
- TDD/ Unit testing /Jest
- An understanding of accessibility and WCAG standards
- Good understanding of browser discrepancies
- Familiarity with developing for mobile devices
- Understanding of unit testing
- CMS Experience (Wordpress/Sitecore)
- Page performance/optimisation knowledge
- Good knowledge of Web APIs
 View our full tech stack here
Why Choose AO?
We’re in the business of better tomorrows, for both our customers and our people. A better tomorrow means finding a place that’ll reward your curiosity. A place that encourages you to ask ‘why’. Somewhere that feeds your imagination and gives you the support to bring those ideas to life.
If you’re the kind of person who wants to learn and help others achieve, who always sees the glass half-full with an appetite for what’s next, you’ll fit right in with us.
In return, you’ll be an integral part of an award-winning team who are forward-thinking and innovative. You can also take up to 5 days out of the business a year to use for development in your role and we’ll cover the cost.
We’re about looking at the bigger picture - the better tomorrow. And no matter what that looks like to you, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to make it happen.
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO’er you can take full advantage of the benefits and perks we have to offer
- Feel free to have a chat with us about our flexible ways of working.
- You can take up to 5 days out of the business a year to use for development in your role and we’ll cover the cost.
- We have our own library, if you've seen something which interests you, we can order in a copy. Just add it to the library when you've done.
- 25 days holiday (Excluding Bank Holidays)
- At least 5% contribution pension scheme
- Dedicated wellness initiatives that support a healthy work / life balance, ranging from our 24hr employee assistance programme to subsidised gym membership.
To see all of our benefits and perks visit our  AO Benefits page.