A Bit About Us
We’re a bunch of people who go to great lengths to make sure our customers are the happiest customers out there. We may sell everything from washing machines to PlayStations, but at our core we’re a people business.
We roll up our sleeves and work together to make things happen. From logistics, recycling to our award winning IT teams, almost everything we do, we do ourselves to make sure every aspect of our customer journey is done properly.
We launched in 2000 as a result of a £1 bet in a Bolton pub. 18 years later we have a 5* TrustPilot rating (after 100K reviews), expanded our business into Europe and floated on the London stock exchange, but we never lose sight of what we’re about.
More About the Role
The Front End team at AO are constantly striving to deliver the best possible experiences for our customers. From cutting edge front end pages to full-stack internal tooling, the opportunities are endless.
There has never been a better time to join the team as we have some hugely exciting and challenging projects on the go and in the pipeline for 2019 and beyond.
You’ll be working as part of a team made up of industry leading UX designers, developers, QAs and UAT analysts, with plenty of opportunities to pair program and learn from developers who really care about creating world class software.
If you’re looking for a role that will challenge and push your technical skills and provide you with an opportunity to become an integral member of the team, joining our current (200+ members) award winning IT team then this could be the role for you.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
* As a Front End Developer at AO you’ll be a key member of a cross functional development team made up of UX, Data Scientists, Developers, QA and UAT.
* You’ll be architecting feature-rich, responsive, insight fuelled user interfaces using an array of modern and ever evolving technologies.
* MVT (A/B/n testing) sits at the heart of everything we do. You’ll run tests across the entire product, testing against a plethora of imaginative, data fuelled hypotheses.
* We take our company values seriously to maintain and evolve our famous internal culture that’s often imitated, never duplicated.
* We aim to attract the most talented developers or those with the most potential and, to achieve this, offer a mountain of opportunities for development (both technical and soft skill) and perks. These include weekly workshops, monthly hack days, free tech book scheme, online training site subscriptions, working on Open Source projects, five days paid training per year, speaking opportunities, conferences etc.
A Few Things About You
We’re looking for Front End Developers who have a set of qualities that we feel will make you a great fit for the role. These are -
* You love to build beautiful responsive UIs that degrade gracefully and progressively enhance.
* You have great attention to detail and aren’t happy until your UI is as good as it can be. Usability is at the heart of your work and you understand the capability of your users and their devices.
* You really enjoy modern front-end technologies and have your finger on the pulse of the industry.
* You’re familiar with unit and end to end testing, and the typical testing library vocabulary and conventions.
* You truly care about the impact Performance and Accessibility on users, and this is demonstrated in your work.
* You understand and enjoy Agile software delivery practices.
* You can collaborate well, are able to discuss ideas and share knowledge in a convivial manner.
* You are driven and motivated to bring new ideas to the team to help us continually improve and evolve.
If you feel some of these describe you, and you like the sound of a new challenge working for one of the top E-commerce platforms in Europe, get in touch. We look forward to hearing from you.
Why Choose AO?
At AO, our culture and our AO’way of doing things is vital to our success. We’re passionate people, determined to do whatever’s necessary to make our customers happy.
The AO motto is "treat every customer like you’d expect your nan to be treated, and make decisions your mum would be proud of". To do this, we train and empower each and every AO’er to strive for better ways of doing whatever they are doing.
Our AO’ers don’t just go through the motions and follow processes, it just isn’t our thing. We don’t follow trends, we set them.
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO employee you can take full advantage of our benefits package. As well as the fundamentals, like pensions and holidays, we have designed our "AO Perks" to help you out financially and make your work life a little easier.