About The Role
At AO Recycling, we are committed to extracting as much value as possible from the waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) that is thrown away by UK households every year. Like the rest of the AO Group, we are a very exciting and enthusiastic company to work for. The role will be located at our site in Telford, Shropshire, which uses state of the art technology and is able to process more items, more efficiently than any other site in the UK.
We are growing rapidly and so with that, opportunities to develop and try new approaches become a plenty. If you are an energetic, hands on, innovative professional, this is the environment for you. We are part of a bigger group and with that backing comes stability and support for our business. And it is always worth remembering - we run a profitable business whilst doing the right thing for the environment.
Within the core value of delivering excellence the Production Manager will focus the Shift Co-Ordinators, Supervisors and Operative employees, to deliver and exceed the agreed budget. The Production Manager will develop the departmental team through providing direction; guidance, support, coaching and mentoring, to ensure all KPI's are delivered in line with the budget.
The Production Manager must promote the highest levels of quality and performance whilst driving health and safety culture, environmental compliance, and employee welfare. With the changing dynamic within the retail sector the plant must be managed in a way to ensure capability to move and flow with the changing patterns of volume, therefore a flexible capability must be at the forefront of the role.
The Production Manager will work very closely with all departments to ensure the departments performance is achieved as a minimum and exceeded as a rule. At AO we deliver at pace, and we need to deliver today.
Here's What You Can Expect To Be Doing
You will be managing the most advanced and largest fridge recycling plant in the UK. Built in 2017 it cost in excess of £6M to build and you will be expected to drive higher productivity and deliver smarter processes.
You will be planning, directing and controlling the Processing Teams across 4 shifts to ensure health and safety, environmental, quality, volumes, productivity and cost objectives are met.
You will be accountable for time, cost and volume quality performances. You will be accountable for and have a proven track record in delivery improvements in time, cost and volume quality performances.
One of your focuses will be to build a strong team focused on quality and efficiency in everything they do, in a safe and clean working environment by using methodologies and tools like 5S, KAIZEN or other CI Techniques. You will create and manage a CI program within the department with the aim of continuously finding better and more productive ways of working. You also need to prove you have successfully done this before! You’ll coach your managers and staff using CI Tools to deliver a CI Culture. Your focus will be on the needs of the teams whilst acting consistently and with resolve.
You will take responsibility to ensure all activities and AOer’s within the departments comply with site health, safety and environmental policies and regulations. Your role will work closely with the HSE department to help deliver a world class HSE culture, ensuring all activities comply with relevant environmental regulations, permits and licences associated with the site.
You will also work closely with the Engineering Function and help maintain an effective planned preventative maintenance (PPM) for the department.
In your role you will conduct regular reviews of operational capability and produce clear action plans to drive required improvement.
Applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK permanently and without restrictions.
A Few Things About You
- Knowledge of working in a Recycling facility is required
* Demonstrated strong implementation knowledge of CI techniques, specifically 5S and KAIZEN Projects
* Experience of working at a management level in a fast-paced environment with large scale growth
* Effective contribution to the achievement of our business plan by focusing on key KPI targets, driving accountability and consistently challenging and involving the team to achieve results.
* Housekeeping responsibility - ensure all Internal Fridge Plant storage areas are improved/maintained.
* Accountable for time, cost and volume quality performances
* To improve efficiency across the department, driving out any inefficiencies
* Ensure control of operation’s during and outside normal working hours - flexibility is a must
* Demonstratable experience in managing large numbers of people (50+) with multi teams and different shift patterns.
* Evidence of the capability to deliver visible, impactful change is highly desirable
* Demonstrable initiative, showing ownership of operational delivery
* Organising and motivating teams and individuals
* Strong leadership and people management skills
* Focused on the detail and root cause analysis
* Strong communication skills and ability to build relationships quickly
* A strong tenacious character who is willing to question the status quo
* Self-sufficient and proactive
* Good interpersonal skills, confident in your approach
* Pro-active and flexible
* Organised, structured approach to work
* Demonstrate proof of creating strong successful teams
This is an excellent and exciting opportunity to join an established and growing business, building on the current successes already delivered in a short time at AO Recycling.
Education and Qualifications
* Minimum 5 years’ operational experience with at least 3 years at the Manufacturing/Processing Manager level or equivalent
* Level 5 ILM level education (or equivalent, could be through apprenticeship or other pathway) is a must.
* WAMITAB preferable but not essential
* IOSH Qualified
* Electrical/Engineering background and experience is preferred but not essential within a busy production environment.
Demonstrated implementation of step changes in processes and introducing a visual factory
A Bit About Us
At AO, we want to make sure our customers are happy. When they have a smile on their face, we know we’ve done a good job. It’s at the heart of everything we do, and it’s why our logo is always smiling.
When it comes to appliances and electricals, we’ve got the lot. Washing machines? Yep. TVs? Check. Laptops? Absolutely. Everything except doorbells (just kidding, we’ve got those too).
We’re passionate, relentless and full of beans, determined to make a difference and change the world for the better. From massive changes to tiny tweaks - making a difference is what keeps us driven.It started at a pub in Bolton with a £1 bet and a belief that things could be done better!
Why Choose AO?
Our people are our superpower, and that’s no accident. We’re looking for everyday heroes who want to learn and help other people achieve. Those glass-half-full-types who have an appetite for a better tomorrow.
With AO, the sky’s the limit. We’ll support you to be the best version of yourself and always drive your career forward.We keep things simple. We say things like "treat every customer like they’re your gran" and "make decisions your mum would be proud of" because we’re personal and act with integrity - every day in every action.