A Bit About Us
We may have started small, but we’ve always had very big ideas. We launched in 2000 and we just haven’t stopped; a years’ worth of achievements always seems more like three at AO.
Our customers and now our biggest advocates, and we’ve made millions of them happy. We’ve even launched in new territories throughout Europe. Sometimes we have to pinch ourselves.
But, we’re determined to be the best electrical retailer in Europe, and for that, you need to be driven. We need to be bold enough to try new things, and smart enough to see them through. We need to care about people, and we always like to have a little fun as we do it.
More About the Role
We are looking for a Maintenance and Engineering Manager to manage and develop a mechanical and electrical support team of up to 15 people to maintain the companies fridge recycling plant, packaging processing equipment, FLT’S and recycling machinery and general site over a 24/7 period.
Your will take responsibility for the UK’s most advanced fridge recycling plant and equipment costing in excess of £5million. You will also be responsible for all other plant and machinery across the site ensuring it runs smoothly.
We expect you to lead from the front, be visible on the shop floor, providing vital leadership as the team develops and moves forward as well delivering the vital training to support the maintenance function.
We will expect you to become an expert on our plant and machinery. This will be a steep learning curve and you need to will absorb information and understand some very complex processes. Much of this learning will be through self study.
This is a very exciting job opportunity for someone to manage a team who will maintain the latest and most technically advanced fridge and WEEE recycling plant in the UK.
The job will be primarily based at the head office in Telford, and reporting will be to the Director of Operations. You may also be required to help create and develop support teams at future sites.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
- Leading the maintenance team with the necessary skill set so that all departmental responsibilities are fulfilled at an optimized cost and ensuring engineering and maintenance work requests are delivered by the team on time, within budget and to agreed standards
* Accountable for identifying risks and that mitigation measures are put in place
* Proactively promote a positive Health & Safety culture, leading towards a target of zero harm for AOR personnel and contractors.
* Ensuring that adequate maintenance cover is available during site operating times.
* Actively review engineering works to ensure that work is being carried out safely in accordance with our relevant safe systems of work and offer coaching and development where required to achieve the necessary level of EHS performance in the teams.
* Lead in the recruiting of permanent and temporary support engineers and electricians, when required.
* Source suitable sub-contractors, and complete contractor evaluations ensuring site controls are met.
* Design a structured maintenance plan that encompasses daily, weekly and periodic activities directing the workload as necessary. Plant downtime and interruptions must be maintained at absolute minimum levels.
* Working with the Health and Safety Manager to ensure that all maintenance activity within the site complies with the company's Environmental, Health and Safety policy, defined procedures and legislative requirements.
* Ensure Engineering KPI's are in place to track improvement areas & drive correct behaviours.
* Maintaining repair stocks for the plant and machinery machine and other key areas of the business
* The plant and machinery at our site will be your responsibility. Until you are satisfied your engineering team will not need your support, you will need to be available to support them in the case of critical issues 24/7. We would expect you to build a strong team that over time will not need this level of support.
A Few Things About You
- * Strong Mechanical and Engineering background and knowledge - Desirable degree level or equivalent.
- * At least 3 years experience management an engineering team.
- * Good experience working as a mechanical engineer in a hands on role prior to managing a team.
- * Strong leadership and man - management skills, experience in managing maintenance teams and successfully managing engineering projects to time, cost and quality
- * Work closely with Production and Transport departments to ensure efficient and timely running of vehicles and machinery.
- * Excellent time management skills and the ability to meet tight deadlines
- * Drive and determination
- * An appetite to learn about the machinery and equipment we use and really understand its function to assist the engineers in root cause analysis of any faults
- * Forward thinking and ability to anticipate problems
- * Excellent H&S knowledge and experience
- * Excellent communication skills
- * CDM experience and qualifications advantageous
- * Experience with using Siemens PLC systems or other SCADA systems could be useful however training can be given
- * A knowledge or understanding of chemical processes may be advantageous but not vital
- * Past experience with large recycling machinery may also be advantageous but not vital
- * Experience in Maintenance Software Systems beneficial
Why Choose AO?
It’s not about the job you need now, it’s about who you want to be and where you want go. The thing about AO is that you don’t have to leave to move on. We have the kind of environment where people learn and thrive and be the best they can be. That’s our values talking.
We empower each and every person to push the boundaries of what’s possible. We’re growing rapidly and so should you. Our environment and our culture are vibrant and engaging, you almost have to feel it to believe it.
"Our people are our biggest asset, they’re our culture: that unique, indescribable thing that makes us really different."
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO employee you can take full advantage of our benefits package. As well as fundamental benefits, like pensions and holidays, we have designed our "AO Perks" to help you out financially, make your work life a little easier or make your home life a lot more fun.