A Bit About Us
We’re a bunch of people who go to great lengths to make sure our customers are the happiest customers out there. We may sell everything from washing machines to PlayStations, but at our core we’re a people business.
We roll up our sleeves and work together to make things happen. From logistics, recycling to our award winning IT teams, almost everything we do, we do ourselves to make sure every aspect of our customer journey is done properly.
We launched in 2000 as a result of a £1 bet in a Bolton pub. 18 years later we have a 5* TrustPilot rating (after 100K reviews), expanded our business into Europe and floated on the London stock exchange, but we never lose sight of what we’re about.
More About the Role
You'll be responsible for defining and maintaining the employment offer group wide and internationally for all associated documentation including employment policies, contracts and handbook ensuring the offer is aligned to the AO values of Bold, Smart and Driven and legally compliant. In conjunction with the legal team, provide employment law advice to the Chief People Officer, manage the most sensitive individual ER cases and act as a subject matter expert and/or point of escalation as appropriate for the Policy & Advice Team and wider People Team.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
- Define, drive sign off and maintain the core employment law components of the AO offer including contracts, employment policies and AO handbook
- Work with the legal team (and external legal advisers where relevant) to ensure all policies are legally compliant in the relevant jurisdiction and coach the People Leadership team as required on any changes
- Quickly establish solid relationships across One AO to understand business strategy and align that to the employment offer
- Work seamlessly and collaboratively with the Centres of Excellence and Business Partners to advise on future employment law requirements and potential impacts
- Provide policy sign off for any Policy & Advice Service escalations, ensuring exceptions are in line with policy direction and source feedback from the team on areas for improvement
- Build strong relationships with Legal, Communications and external legal providers, using knowledge and experience to reduce the reliance on 3rd party support
- Work with the legal team (and external legal advisers where relevant) to provide employment law advice, including settlement agreements for any senior or highly sensitive cases working closely with the Chief People Officer and Head of People
- Provide employment law advice on any Mergers & Acquisition activity and to business partners on planned restructures/organisational changes
A Few Things About You
- Deep understanding of employment law across the UK and EU and a proven track record within a similar role in a international organisation. Will be seen as an instantly credible subject matter expert.
- Customer focused with track record of providing technical yet pragmatic employee relations advice to lead the resolution of senior / sensitive case issues in a fast-paced and demanding environment.
- Ability to define an employment offer in a multinational organisation that is aligned to the organisational values
- High level of communication and interpersonal skills, able to inspire and influence across the organisation as well as in areas outside direct control through proactive engagement of internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to challenge, build high levels of credibility and work with integrity to influence change within a very commercially focused fast-moving business
- Ability to work at pace and within a fast-paced, dynamic and changing environment
- Pragmatic and flexible team player
- Ability to coach, train and develop colleagues on technical employment law knowledge.
Why Choose AO?
At AO, our culture and our AO’way of doing things is vital to our success. We’re passionate people, determined to do whatever’s necessary to make our customers happy.
The AO motto is "treat every customer like you’d expect your nan to be treated, and make decisions your mum would be proud of". To do this, we train and empower each and every AO’er to strive for better ways of doing whatever they are doing.
Our AO’ers don’t just go through the motions and follow processes, it just isn’t our thing. We don’t follow trends, we set them.
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO employee you can take full advantage of our benefits package. As well as the fundamentals, like pensions and holidays, we have designed our "AO Perks" to help you out financially and make your work life a little easier.