About The Role
At AO Recycling, we are committed to extracting as much value as possible from the waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) that is thrown away by UK households every year. Like the rest of the AO Group, we are a very exciting and enthusiastic company to work for. The role will be located at our plant in Telford, Shropshire, which uses state of the art technology and is able to process more items, more efficiently than any other site in the UK.
We are growing rapidly and so with that, opportunities to develop and try new approaches become aplenty. If you are an energetic, hands on, innovative professional, this is the environment for you. We are part of a bigger group and with that backing comes stability and support for our business. And it is always worth remembering - we run a profitable business whilst doing the right thing for the environment.
The Domestic Cooking Engineer will work alone or in small teams, focused on delivering high quality reuse cooking appliances which meet our exacting standards and exceeding KPI’s consistently.
We’re rightly proud of our re-use department: the best form of recycling is re-use, and we are able to pick the best items (from small domestic appliances to American Fridge Freezers) for testing, repair, refurbishment and ultimately provide a second life for them.
We sell with warranty and quality is paramount.
The reuse production teams cover assessment, book-in, repair, refurbishment, parts management, testing (pre and post repair), cleaning and preparation for sale. The process is covered with our own stock and repair systems which provide not only full audit trail, but also enable live automated KPI dashboards and reporting.
Our people are incredibly important to us, and the split shift operation (6am-2pm and 2pm-10pm) was introduced to enable safe social distancing. It also provides scope for growth, with the production team working closely alongside an embedded sales team who support a stable growing customer base.
Here's What You Can Expect To Be Doing
- Reporting to the Shift Co-ordinator, delivering KPI’s through smart working.
* Working closely within your team and also other functional areas of reuse (book-in, parts, cleaning, etc).
* Repair and refurbish domestic cookers and similar appliances.
* Diagnose electrical and mechanical faults on all appliances.
* Safely operate Hydraulic lift tables.
* Perform some manual handling tasks.
* Take responsibility for ensuring you comply with site Health, Safety and Environmental policies and regulations
A Few Things About You
Applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK permanently and without restrictions. We are an inclusive and diverse business, celebrating, valuing and respecting every individual; in fact we believe this makes us stronger. Our recruitment mirrors this.
Key knowledge and skills for the Domestic Cooking Engineer:
* Minimum 3 years experience diagnosing and repairing domestic electrical cookers and similar appliances.
* Induction knowledge essential, microwave knowledge preferable.
* Proven track record on quality.
* Formal training preferable.
* Electrical qualification desirable.
* The ability to work in a team environment.
* The confidence to help generate ideas for improvement and the desire to take pride in your work.
* Specific manufacturer training of any kind would be an advantage.
* Housekeeping responsibility - ensure all areas are improved/maintained.
* Acting with confidence, operating well under own direction.
* Self-sufficient and proactive.
* Good interpersonal skills, confident in your approach.
* Pro-active and flexible.
* Organised, structured approach to work.
This is an excellent opportunity to join an established and growing business, building on the current successes already delivered in a short time within the Operations function.
Education and Qualifications:
* Edition City & Guilds/ NVQ Level 3 Electrical Qualification advantageous.
A Bit About Us
At AO, we want to make sure our customers are happy. When they have a smile on their face, we know we’ve done a good job. It’s at the heart of everything we do, and it’s why our logo is always smiling.
When it comes to appliances and electricals, we’ve got the lot. Washing machines? Yep. TVs? Check. Laptops? Absolutely. Everything except doorbells (just kidding, we’ve got those too).
We’re passionate, relentless and full of beans, determined to make a difference and change the world for the better. From massive changes to tiny tweaks - making a difference is what keeps us driven.
It started at a pub in Bolton with a £1 bet and a belief that things could be done better!
Why Choose AO?
Our people are our superpower, and that’s no accident. We’re looking for everyday heroes who want to learn and help other people achieve. Those glass-half-full-types who have an appetite for a better tomorrow.
With AO, the sky’s the limit. We’ll support you to be the best version of yourself and always drive your career forward.
We keep things simple. We say things like "treat every customer like they’re your gran" and "make decisions your mum would be proud of" because we’re personal and act with integrity - every day in every action.
We’ve designed our benefits to cover everything from big moments to little helps. As well all as the essentials, like pensions and holidays, we’ve got our own "AO Perks" to help you with the little things that matter.
To see all our benefits and perks, visit our AO Benefits page.
• 25 days holiday (Excluding Bank Holidays)
• Dedicated wellness initiatives that support your wellbeing, ranging from our 24hr employee assistance programme to subsidised gym membership.