About The Role
An exciting opportunity for an entry level/part qualified assistant accountant working within the UK Retail entity of the business. In this role you’ll be reporting directly into our Divisional Management Accountant and taking responsibility for the maintenance of key accounting records and month end processes to deliver timely and accurate financial reporting to the business, for a particular business unit. The role is temporary for 6 months during the trial of a new business unit.
Working alongside colleagues responsible for Revenue, COS & Overheads this role takes ownership of the financial reporting & controls for a division within the AO Retail business.
Robust financial controls are a necessity within our high volume transactional business model and we are looking for an individual with an interest in improving financial processes and controls as well as a passion for continuous improvement. The UK Retail Finance team are a close-knit team, with a work hard, play hard attitude. This is a varied and often demanding role, so we need someone who is up for the challenge!
Here's What You Can Expect To Be Doing
• Contributing to weekly P&Ls Reporting for external and internal stakeholders
• Month end reporting for internal and external stakeholders
• Ownership of various balance sheet reconciliations.
• Implementation and maintenance of key financial and operational controls
• Working closely with Finance Managers and teams with the wider finance department to promote efficiencies and synergies across the function and to drive continuous improvements in process and controls.
• Involvement in other ad hoc projects and initiatives as required by the Divisional Management Accountant and Finance Manager.
A Few Things About You
• Interest in becoming a qualified Accountant and pursuing a career in Finance.
• 2:1 University Degree in a relevant subject
• Experience of MS Excel (sumifs, vlookups, pivots etc.)
• Takes ownership of tasks, maintaining focus when tight deadlines are required.
• Demonstrates good time management to achieve task completion and utilises time effectively.
• Good level of communication and confident within own abilities.
• Listens for understanding and expresses information clearly and concisely.
• Demonstrates creative thinking when solving problems, constantly driving improvements.
• Understands a common goal, shares information with colleagues, contributes to an atmosphere of trust.
• Demonstrates a positive and ‘can do’ attitude and is willing to accept new challenges
• Ability to build strong relationships with various stakeholders across the business including senior management.
A Bit About Us
We’re a bunch of people who go to great lengths to make sure our customers are the happiest customers out there. We may sell everything from washing machines to PlayStations, but at our core we’re a people business.
We roll up our sleeves and work together to make things happen. From logistics, recycling to our award winning IT teams, almost everything we do, we do ourselves to make sure every aspect of our customer journey is done properly.
We launched in 2000 as a result of a £1 bet in a Bolton pub. 18 years later we have a 5* TrustPilot rating (after 100K reviews), expanded our business into Europe and floated on the London stock exchange, but we never lose sight of what we’re about.
Why Choose AO?
At AO, our culture and our AO’way of doing things is vital to our success. We’re passionate people, determined to do whatever’s necessary to make our customers happy.
The AO motto is "treat every customer like you’d expect your nan to be treated, and make decisions your mum would be proud of". To do this, we train and empower each and every AO’er to strive for better ways of doing whatever they are doing.
Our AO’ers don’t just go through the motions and follow processes, it just isn’t our thing. We don’t follow trends, we set them.
As an AO employee you can take full advantage of our benefits package. As well as the fundamentals, like pensions and holidays, we have designed our "AO Perks" to help you out financially and make your work life a little easier.