About The Role
The DevOps Shared services team are committed to providing frictionless platforms to the AO Tech department, in view of accelerating technical teams and improving operability.
The successful candidate will modernise a team’s pre-existing estate whilst providing essential maintenance and support to AO’s current CI/CD pipelines and IaC shared modules.
Here's What You Can Expect To Be Doing
You could be improving the way we deploy our code one day and then working on speeding up DNS resolution on another. You will be using source control (Git) to manage code for both software and infrastructure.
You will be a key communicator within the team, publicising our latest product and platforms to the Tech teams and helping to define their adoption processes.
Your immediate focus will be establishing standards for AO’s AWS platforms through the means of CCOE articles, shared IaC modules and leveraging the latest organizational tooling within AWS.
Then you will literally "Eat your own dog food" by owning and becoming first adopters of these practices, processes and systems to help reinforce AO’s cloud assurance and shared services compliance across the cloud offering.
Using AO’s range of CI/CD tools you will leverage the likes of bitbucket, TeamCity, Octopus and JFrog x-ray to provide dev teams with a safe path of least resistance to the platforms you provide. These platforms range from centralized compute to containerized cluster offerings with automated orchestration through varied providers partnered with AWS.
A Few Things About You
Your Skills and Experience (Essential).
• Infrastructure as code (IAC) is a must, everything we build today is managed by code, and our team’s need templates and modules to avoid repeated work.
• Developing and optimising CI pipelines and a continuous delivery (CD) mindset.
• Some .Net development and exposure would be ideal
• We are a Windows focused environment, so PowerShell or any other shell scripting knowledge will be needed.
• Security is important to you; you build with security in mind and develop processes that help engineers to build secure and compliant systems.
Technologies you will be working with (Majority of required)
• JFrog Artifactory implementation and Binary Feed retirement
• Nagios/OMD split out
• Performing Octopus and Teamcity upgrades and decentralisation
- cloud integration (custom AMI devops account)
• Migrating teams off Spinnaker or provide them with training
• Modifying .Net Framework app with simple UI changes
• Python scripting for automating manual processes
• Bitbucket -
- Enhancement on bitbucket utility for user creation
- Scheduled Sanity checks in repos
- Migrating gitlab repos to bitbucket
• Hashicorp tools -
- Packer automation
• Terraforming existing AWS accounts and env following AO Standards
• Keep existing shared modules up to date and publishing to the department
• Migration Kibana/ELK to an up to date VPC attached version.
• Documenting run books and README’s for existing tools/processes and anything delivered by yourself
A Bit About Us
At AO, we want to make sure our customers are happy. When they have a smile on their face, we know we’ve done a good job. It’s at the heart of everything we do, and it’s why our logo is always smiling.
When it comes to appliances and electricals, we’ve got the lot. Washing machines? Yep. TVs? Check. Laptops? Absolutely. Everything except doorbells (just kidding, we’ve got those too).
We’re passionate, relentless and full of beans, determined to make a difference and change the world for the better. From massive changes to tiny tweaks - making a difference is what keeps us driven.
It started at a pub in Bolton with a £1 bet and a belief that things could be done better!
Why Choose AO?
Our people are our superpower, and that’s no accident. We’re looking for everyday heroes who want to learn and help other people achieve. Those glass-half-full-types who have an appetite for a better tomorrow.
With AO, the sky’s the limit. We’ll support you to be the best version of yourself and always drive your career forward.
We keep things simple. We say things like "treat every customer like they’re your gran" and "make decisions your mum would be proud of" because we’re personal and act with integrity - every day in every action.
We’re forward thinking with both Tech and our people. We know how important family and wellbeing are - flexibility is key to be able to get that balance of life just right, so we operate core hours of 10-4pm to support your lifestyle.
It’s not about where you work, but about how you work and the value you add. This means for most roles, you can split your time working from home, the office, or a coffee shop if that’s where you thrive the most. Whatever the task, project or product, we trust our teams to work together, collaborate and make the sensible choice.
We believe diversity will help us find a better way. We want our workforce to be as diverse as our customers by celebrating, valuing and respecting every individual. We achieve this by nurturing a culture of inclusion where every voice matters. We welcome applications from everyone and we can make adjustments to our interview process according to your needs.