A Bit About Us
At AO, we’re in the business of better tomorrows for our customers, and we do whatever it takes to make sure they’re the happiest they can be. We may sell everything from washing machines to PlayStations, but putting smiles on our customers’ faces is at the heart of everything we do.
We think that in order for you to do your best, we need to support your other commitments. This means working in a way that offers you flexibility, whilst getting the job done. Feel free to have a chat with us about our flexible ways of working.We’re big believers in making sure every job is done properly, which is why we do everything the AO way. Our award-winning teams work their magic behind the scenes to make sure every customer’s experience is totally effortless. We do our bit for the environment too, with our very own recycling plant to make sure we’re as green as we look. We’re always looking for ways to make our customers as happy as can be, wherever possible.
More About the Role
Cultural fit, discipline, helpfulness, approachability, openness, positivity and technical interest is what we are looking for. The candidate will have a passion for development and will want to grow in this area. You will be given the opportunity to add your uniqueness to the collective as we work together to solve problems. We want to enjoy what we do and we see no reason why this shouldn't be the case when we have a talented team that pulls together.
AO Mobile operates in a fast paced, highly competitive market and this role is pivotal to the company succeeding in its ambition to be the leading online mobile phone retailer in the UK.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
We are looking for developers with experience in web-based technology and development of front-end systems, with eagerness to learn and develop the back end (PHP)
We prefer close collaboration, so you need to be a great communicator and have solid interpersonal skills. Maintaining strong expertise and knowledge of current and emerging technologies and products is key.
We use the following technologies daily, so commercial experience with them is beneficial, although you don’t need to be a master at them:
* HTML / CSS / SASS
* CSS frameworks / libraries
* Good understanding of browser discrepancies
* Familiarity with developing for mobile devices
* Understanding of unit testing
* CMS Experience (Wordpress/Sitecore)
* Page performance/optimisation knowledge
* Good knowledge of Web APIs
- Knowledge of PHP and a modern PHP Framework such as Sypmphony/Laravel/FuelPHP
- Experience of MySQL and database design
- Experience in design of responsive websites Experience with LAMP Stack Unit testing / PHPUnit is useful
- Experience of SCRUM / Agile methods
- Experience of GIT version control
A Few Things About You
- Working to agreed designs and coding standards
- Writing clean, commented, legible code
- Aptitude to problem solve and think outside the box
- Logical thinker
- Fast learner
- Self Starter
- Keen interest and knowledge in latest technologies
- Strong IT skills, including Microsoft Office applications
- Strong Communication skills at all levels
- Excellent relationship and collaborative skills
- High degree of accuracy
- Be a strong team player
- Good level of customer focus and understanding customer needs
- Self motivated and positive can do attitude
At AO we believe diversity will help us find a better way. We want our workforce to be as diverse as our customers by celebrating, valuing and respecting every individual. We achieve this by nurturing a culture of inclusion where every voice matters. We welcome applications from everyone and we can make adjustments to our interview process according to your needs.
Why Choose AO?
We’re in the business of better tomorrows, for both our customers and our people. A better tomorrow means finding a place that’ll reward your curiosity. A place that encourages you to ask ‘why’. Somewhere that feeds your imagination and gives you the support to bring those ideas to life.
If you’re the kind of person who wants to learn and help others achieve, who always sees the glass half-full with an appetite for what’s next, you’ll fit right in with us.
In return, you’ll be an integral part of an award-winning team who are forward-thinking and innovative. You can also take up to 5 days out of the business a year to use for development in your role and we’ll cover the cost.
We’re about looking at the bigger picture - the better tomorrow. And no matter what that looks like to you, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to make it happen.
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO’er you can take full advantage of the benefits and perks we have to offer
- Feel free to have a chat with us about our flexible ways of working.
- You can take up to 5 days out of the business a year to use for development in your role and we’ll cover the cost.
- 25 days holiday (Excluding Bank Holidays)
- At least 5% contribution pension scheme
- Dedicated wellness initiatives that support a healthy work / life balance
To see all of our benefits and perks visit our AO Benefits page.