A Bit About Us
We are a team of individuals who go to great lengths to make sure our customers are the happiest customers out there.
Using cutting edge techniques, we are committed to extracting as much value as possible from the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment that is thrown away by UK households every year and when AO sells a new appliance, it is often our job to take the old one away. We give our AO customers total peace of mind by ensuring their unwanted machines are safely and responsibly recycled - or refurbished for resale as a second-hand product.
We are experts in recycling, and we work with government, local authorities, businesses and consumers to make sure the UK improves the way it recycles its unwanted electrical items.
More About the Role
An exciting opportunity for a Business Intelligence Developer has arisen in our rapidly expanding Projects team in Telford.
Working within the Projects team, but maintaining strong links to the central IT teams at our head office in Bolton, you will be responsible for designing, developing, documenting and maintaining our business Reporting and Data Modelling solutions.
You will be hands on, identifying user needs, prototyping solutions, testing ideas and working with stakeholders from across the business to produce reporting and analytical solutions to specification and within deadlines. You will be identifying new data sets and ways to integrate these with our existing systems, while responding quickly to changes in external products.
This is a fantastic opportunity to make your mark on a fledging IT function, acting as the subject matter expert in all things BI; from architectural advice, to the design and display of the data being produced, and everything in between.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
- Developing analytical solutions that provide both analysts and management of the business the ability to gain insight into the data
- Ownership of the end-to-end ETL processes feeding the data warehouse
- Ownership and development of new and existing data models
- Working with other teams within AO to understand business logic, identifying new areas to explore
- Ensuring development is performed in conjunction with the overall BI strategy
- Composing technical documentation as required
- Supporting the business in our move towards data-driven decision making
- Responding to issues and change requests to existing BI systems through the helpdesk
A Few Things About You
You will be passionate about data and analytics, have great attention to detail and a drive to produce high quality solutions.
You will have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to prioritise tasks and work efficiently between multiple tasks in different technologies.
You will have experience working in agile environments, and be a self-motivated, team player that the team can depend on.
You will have experience with the following technologies, as well as strong T-SQL skills and a good understanding of querying and query optimisation, indexing techniques and execution plans.
- SQL Server 2014
- Integration Services
- Reporting Services
- Analysis Services (Multidimensional Mode)
- Microsoft Azure
- Azure SQL Database
- Azure SQL Server Analysis Services
- Power BI
- Microsoft Office (including Power Pivot).
- NoSQL experience
Desirable skills include:
- Experience developing in C# or other .net language
- Test Driven Database Development
- Exposure to other Business Intelligence Products (Non-Microsoft)
- Experience with source control (Mercurial and GIT)
- Passion for good data visualisation
We believe that in order for you to do your best, we need to support your other commitments. This means working in a way that offers you flexibility, whilst getting the job done. Feel free to have a chat with us about our flexible ways of working.
At AO we believe diversity will help us find a better way. We want our workforce to be as diverse as our customers by celebrating, valuing and respecting every individual. We achieve this by nurturing a culture of inclusion where every voice matters. We welcome applications from everyone and we can make adjustments to our interview process according to your needs.
Why Choose AO?
We are in the business of better tomorrows, for both our customers and our people. A better tomorrow means finding a place that’ll reward your curiosity. A place that encourages you to ask ‘why’. Somewhere that feeds your imagination and gives you the support to bring those ideas to life.
If you are the kind of person who wants to learn and help others achieve, who always sees the glass half-full with an appetite for what’s next, you will fit right in with us.
In return, you will be an integral part of an award-winning team who are forward-thinking and innovative. You can also take up to 5 days out of the business a year to use for development in your role and we’ll cover the cost. We are about looking at the bigger picture - the better tomorrow. And no matter what that looks like to you, we will make sure you have got everything you need to make it happen.
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO employee you can take full advantage of our benefits package. As well as the fundamentals, like pensions and holidays, we have designed our "AO Perks" to help you out financially and make your work life a little easier.
Plus other benefits particular to our fantastic Telford site include:
* Telford Golf and Spa resort: Corporate room rate of £85 Bed and Breakfast for overnight stay at the Hotel.
* Telford Golf and Spa resort: Corporate discounted package of between £43 to £25* per month. This offers employees full 7 day access to their fantastic health club
* Aspirations Gym Membership: Great deals with gyms in your local area. Corporate rate of £23.50 per month
* Employee of the Month: £50 shopping vouchers for the employee who has gone above and beyond in representing our values.
- Dedicated wellness initiatives that support a healthy work / life balance, ranging from our 24hr employee assistance programme to free lunch once a month on site.
To see all of our benefits and perks visit our AO Benefits page.