A Bit About Us
At AO, we’re in the business of better tomorrows for our customers, and we do whatever it takes to make sure they’re the happiest they can be. We may sell everything from washing machines to PlayStations, but putting smiles on our customers’ faces is at the heart of everything we do.
We’re big believers in making sure every job is done properly, which is why we do everything the AO way. Our award-winning teams work their magic behind the scenes to make sure every customer’s experience is totally effortless. We do our bit for the environment too, with our very own recycling plant to make sure we’re as green as we look. We’re always looking for ways to make our customers as happy as can be, wherever possible.
More About the Role
The DevOps Automation team are committed to providing frictionless and leading shared platforms to the IT department in view of accelerating technical teams and improving operability.
Automating processes, establishing principles and providing overall assurance to the department will be your primary focuses. The tools you build will adopt these requirements with the purpose of removing repeated work across teams, as well as inform them of compliance failures for platforms they manage themselves
In addition, you will be promoting the DevOps movement whilst educating teams on the best cloud technologies and practices for achieving their business and team objectives. As such you will need to be a fast learner, staying up to date with bleeding edge cloud services with the communication skills to train out your finding to large groups of engineers.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
You are going to be building new tools and products to solve problems and automate away repetitive work that affects our internal IT teams. You could be improving the way we deploy our code one day and then working on speeding up DNS resolution on another. You will be using source control (Git) to manage code for both software and infrastructure.
You will give advice to IT teams and the wider department on what approaches and technologies to use on their own projects. This will help them to build the best IT systems in Europe.
The team is very good at self-improvement and self-sufficiency; so you will also be ensuring that we are pursuing the right work, at the right time.
Our team loves to innovate, so you'll always be on the lookout for the newest technology and what it can do to benefit everyone.
It is also important that we track how well we are doing through regular measurement. Both in terms of the work we do and the impact of the improvements we make. So you will be good at distilling complex information down to what is relevant and tailoring it to the intended audience.
A Few Things About You
- You’ll need to be an experienced C# programmer.
- We are a Windows focused environment, so PowerShell or any other shell scripting knowledge would be a bonus.
- Infrastructure as code (IAC) is a must, everything we build today is managed by code, and our team’s need templates and modules to avoid repeated work.
- Managing a central containerization platform and its deployment pipeline.
- Developing and optimising CI pipelines and a continuous delivery (CD) mindset.
- Security is important to you; you build with security in mind and develop processes that help engineers to build secure and compliant systems.
- Logging/ELK stacks, and both APM and infrastructure monitoring.
- Message Queuing solutions, such as RabbitMQ and AWS MQ.
- Automating checks and reports to show compliance results across all AWS accounts.
- Do you have an AWS certification? Excellent but not essential.
- You can perform and lead effective root cause analysis to ensure that we learn from our mistakes and use it to drive improvements.
- Do you also have a deep understanding of computer networks? You will regularly need to solve problems that involve crossing over into infrastructure, networking, and architecture.
- If you have strong database query skills such as MSSQL or PostgreSQL this would be beneficial.
We believe that in order for you to do your best, we need to support your other commitments. This means working in a way that offers you flexibility, whilst getting the job done. Feel free to have a chat with us about our flexible ways of working.
At AO we believe diversity will help us find a better way. We want our workforce to be as diverse as our customers by celebrating, valuing and respecting every individual. We achieve this by nurturing a culture of inclusion where every voice matters. We welcome applications from everyone and we can make adjustments to our interview process according to your needs.
Why Choose AO?
We’re in the business of better tomorrows, for both our customers and our people. A better tomorrow means finding a place that’ll reward your curiosity. A place that encourages you to ask ‘why’. Somewhere that feeds your imagination and gives you the support to bring those ideas to life.
If you’re the kind of person who wants to learn and help others achieve, who always sees the glass half-full with an appetite for what’s next, you’ll fit right in with us.
In return, you’ll be an integral part of an award-winning team who are forward-thinking and innovative. You can also take up to 5 days out of the business a year to use for development in your role and we’ll cover the cost.
We’re about looking at the bigger picture - the better tomorrow. And no matter what that looks like to you, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to make it happen.
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO’er you can take full advantage of the benefits and perks we have to offer
- Feel free to have a chat with us about our flexible ways of working.
- You can take up to 5 days out of the business a year to use for development in your role and we’ll cover the cost.
- We have our own library, if you've seen something which interests you, we can order in a copy. Just add it to the library when you've done.
- 25 days holiday (Excluding Bank Holidays)
- At least 5% contribution pension scheme
- Dedicated wellness initiatives that support a healthy work / life balance, ranging from our 24hr employee assistance programme to subsidised gym membership.
To see all of our benefits and perks visit our AO Benefits page.