To keep the ‘AO DNA’ pulsing we run social events throughout the year. AO’ers like to challenge themselves and over the years have gone to extraordinary lengths to test their limits
AO cycling challenge 2015
A popular one and every year the challenge gets bigger. In the 1st year we cycled Coast 2 Coast, then Lands End to John O’Groats.
For 2015, 19 AO’ers are riding from our Germany office in Heppendorf to our Bolton office in 6 days covering 600 miles! We are raising money for Derian House Children Hospice Playground Appeal.
To find out more about this challenge take a look at our appeal video.
AO rows the Atlantic
4 Men. 7 Weeks. 3,000 Miles.They trained for over a year and successfully rowed the Atlantic and raised a massive £260,000 for a local Junior Mentoring Project at the Bolton Lads and Girls Club.
(Oh by the way AO.com used to be known as Appliances Online in case you hear that name!)
Other events that we run through the year are:
- Family Fun Days – These days are a great opportunity for your family to see where you work and get an inside look into the world of AO.
- Office theme days – Ranges from Wimbledon table tennis tournaments, to Halloween parties, to getting into the Christmas spirit.
- Manchester Hack – 20 of our designers, developers and software engineers had 24 hours to come up with an idea, design it, develop it, test it and present it.
- AO Does Tough Mudder – This year we have over 50 people battling through a 12 mile military assault course. If you like LOTS of mud, water and electric shocks, then this is right up your street! If you are there for the 2015 event look out for lots of AO Green tops and say hello!
- Comic Relief – A popular night where we open our call centre to help take donations for Comic Relief. We have over 150 AO’ers coming together across our call centres and we ensure there is a great party atmosphere.
- Climbing to the top of Kilimanjaro – 20 people successfully climbed this iconic hill and raised money for some great local causes. This challenge pushed the team to the limits as they had to all stick together and keep everyone motivated.
- Bolton Beer Festival – A regular fixture in the diary is the local beer festival where you get to sample some local brewers ales and ciders. Some are better than others but it is a great opportunity for the team to get together and let their hair down.
You spend the vast majority of the time when you are awake at work…it needs to be fun.